Air rising in jars just canned

Beatrice

Sprout
Reaction score
New to canning. I just canned dill relish in water bath. Immediately after carefully removing pint jars from canner, I noticed air rising in jars. Are they ok? I heard some jars pop, but, left room and did not hear any others. Should pops be loud? Thanks a million. Being in my late late 50's and starting new is wonderful.

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
All sounds normal........air should rise and they should seal as they cool. You may not hear every pop, but when the jars reach room temp, check to make sure they all sealed. If one didn't, put it in the fridge and eat it fairly soon. If you have a lot that did not seal, they may not have reached a high enough temp in the bath.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Be patient ( :rolleyes: listen to me, the queen of impatience!) and disturb the jars as little as possible while they are cooling. With pressure canning the jars will continue to actually boil for some time after being removed from the canner! The pressure inside the jars, even with wbc, means the temperature for boiling is lower. So you are probably seeing a slight simmer in your jars. Cool, huh?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
freemotion, give me some advice:
I have an electric stove with a glass top. Do you think I should let the jars cool on the top of the stove OR do you think I should let them cool on a large wooden cutting board? (I have been using the cutting board, face down, to keep the jars from cracking, as they might on the countertop.) :caf

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I have an electric stove with a glass top. Do you think I should let the jars cool on the top of the stove OR do you think I should let them cool on a large wooden cutting board? (I have been using the cutting board, face down, to keep the jars from cracking, as they might on the countertop.) :caf
If you put them on the stove it will be hard to leave them undisturbed for 12-24 hours, as is wise. I always use a wooden cutting board(s), with a folded teatowel on it to absorb any drips, and put it somewhere well out of peoples' and cats' way.

If one is having repeated trouble with liquid boiling out of jars after removal from the canner and thereby losing seals, what you want to do is leave them *in the canner* for a minute or two after opening the canner (longer for pressure canner, see mfr's recommendations) before taking them out onto the cutting board or whatever.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts