Alabama

Reaction score
Hello Mike,
I'm up here in Florence. I just retired from the military 7 months ago and moved down here from Alaska and I haven't had a garden in about 17 years.

When does everyone down here plant the garden? So Far I have my onions planted (about 2 weeks now and they are up about an inch now) but when should I get the rest of the crops planted?

I will have: Tomatoes, green beans, corn, carrots, zucchini, jalapinos, bell peppers, hobanero peppers, onions, cucumbers, canalope, watermelons. There may be a couple I missed but you get the idea.

Jayare

Reaction score
I'm also planting some potatoes in the garden. I planted 2 blueberry plants, 2 ruhbarb plants, 6 blackberry plants, and 6 raspberry plants last week as well. I also planted 2 butterfly bushes too. They are supposed to attract butterfly's and humming birds.

I put up a couple of birdhouse gourds to try and attract some of those purple martins because it sounds interesting and I would like to watch the birds when I'm out in the backyard watching the chickens and ducks run around.

Jayare

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am near a sleepy town called New Site, about 45 mins from Auburn but ROLL TIDE! Are ya'll lovin this rain we got yesterday?

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I can be found in Jemison, Alabama. That is right in the center of the state just a stones throw from I-65. There is alot of agriculture around us, well, my husband and I grew up working peach fields, pea patches, okra rows with NO ends, etc. etc. and this is what was expected... By the time I was an adult I was glad to work a desk in an air conditioned office...but guess what I missed when our parent/grandparent were no longer farming? So when my husband wanted a new John Deere tractor I said fine...but we must have a garden with everything I wanted to plant. It was agreed. So, this past summer we planted crooked neck squash, Silver King corn (yes, King), Trucker's Favorite yellow corn, pink-eyed purplehull peas, bush butterbeans, tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, canalope, okra, bell peppers, eggplant, and sunflowers and milo for the chickens. I would dare say 90% of our garden was organic. Spring fever hits hard in Alabama.

This was our summer garden:

344241866.jpg

How about those clean rows?
344241870.jpg

This was the best ...our grandmothers had never seen a field of sunflowers. They were amazed...they shouldn't have been they taught us well.
344242029.jpg

Next year.....twice as big and we break all child labor laws.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are outstanding pictures! Very inspiring.

Hmmmm, I've got lots of sunflower seeds and two children....the possibilities!

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
beavis said:
Question: Is the Milo fairly easy to grow?
Sooo easy!!! A drought resistant crop that you plant, harvest, and God takes care of the rest.

Look on the first pic right above my father-in-law. That is milo. It is planted like corn and is identical as corn when it sprouts. (We had two different types of corn and you could not tell the milo from the corn until the corn shot up taller than my head) It is a slow crop that you let dry on the stalks. We planted it thinking it would be great for our fall dove shoot and I could harvest some for my chickens....milo of course is in all the wild game feed!! Well, the doves went for the sunflowers and the only chickens that seemed to like it was my baby Silkies. This happened for the second year. No more. But alot of people have good results with milo, we just have spoiled birds!! ;)

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wetumpka mail address. Geographically closer to Eclectic.
Buddies with Allabout.
Chicken lover.
Square foot gardener cause I live in the woods.

Latest posts