All Primrose Perennial ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red, it's been years since I've grown Cape Primroses, I didn't know there was scented varieties WOW. Is yours a named variety? Yes, photos please.
This brings back memories, The first Strep I grew was from a leaf given to me by a friend, I nursed it along until it had 6 or 8 leaves and half a dozen blooms. I proudly took my little treasure along to garden club one night and entered in the parlor show. Each leaf and flower were perfect, not a blemish to be seen. After judging our judge went behind the tables and gave comments on each entry....When she came to mine (I'm sitting there bursting with pride at my accomplishment).
Well, she said, referring to my plant, it's a start but it should be this big, stretching her arms to show the size it should have dozens of blooms. Talk about pricking my balloon LOL.
Annette

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I suppose we often are proud of our flowering 'babies' knowing how far they have come in our care. Others are used to seeing the end result and don't appreciate our efforts getting there.

Yes, aftermidnight. I'll be posting photos tomorrow. I don't remember them having other than a generic primrose name, but I will check.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are the seven plants that followed me home. First the creamy white and lavender....
primrose cream and lavender.JPG

Then the bright golden-yellow and finally white.
primrose yellow and white.JPG

The three with taller blooms are super fragrant! No name, no tags on these varieties of cape primroses.
primrose tall fragrant.JPG

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red you picked some really nice ones. The ones you call Cape Primrose are different to the ones I think of with that name, I was thinking Streptocarpus, relative of the African violet.
I'm not up on all the Primulas but your scented ones look similar to Primula obconica one of the more tender ones. If it turns out to be this one some people get a rash when handling it. Much to her annoyance my daughter found out to be highly sensitive to it and had to wear gloves when handling it. Of course there are a couple of other primulas it might be so to be on the safe side I'd check it out. That said I think you snapped up some pretty ones, and fragrant to boot, a win ,win.

Annette

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually consider plants with "florist plants" on their pots are too tender for planting outside. I asked and found that they are hardy here. Fingers crossed, I sure hope that's correct or I'll be back complaining. I know the smaller ones are hardy.

Latest posts