Almost Took Them To The Pound

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sorry about that nyboy. dogs can sure wreak havoc on our stuff. our 2 1/2 y/o german shep had just stop chewing EVERYTHING up in the last couple of months. I despaired of her ever getting better.

Fred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nyboy, your episode of good dogs unintentionally doing bad reminds me of an incident that I witnessed many years ago.

The summer after HS graduation a group of us went weekend camping.
One of the guys had a young, very active black Lab.
One night we were prepping supper, frying fish and roasting potatoes and ears of sweet corn in the fire.
We notice that this usually energetic dog is quietly sitting on his haunches, calmly watching and observing. Just figured he's probably tired or hungry and waiting to be fed.
After a while, he gets up and goes roaming in the woods nearby, which wasn't unusual at all.
But about 10 minutes later he comes crashing back into camp.
He's got something in his mouth and he's making a beeline for the campfire.
At the base of the fire he drops it and walks away, wagging his tail.
After we frantically dig it out we discover it's an unidentifiable animal part. Badly decomposed.
I remember we all really thought 'Wow, this dog is a genius, to first watch and then to contribute to our supper!'

But later on, our high opinion was much diminished.
Turned out it was just the beginning of his lifelong habit to frequently bring home dead animals and animal parts.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, this reminds me of what my mother in law told me... when my wife was a child, her tom cat would go out into the field ( they had a farmette) and daily bring home a mauled dead mouse, rat, bird or lizzard and put it into her dolls' carriage. :sick :idunno

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago I rented a place that was built in the 1700's. In the fall it would become a haven for field mice. Every morning I would find where the cats had left a dead mouse on the counter in front of the microwave...
I never cooked it for them.
:sick

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nyboy, I think my female dog will be joining your dog at the pound. this morning, she manages to get in with the goats. she runs them. two are hurt, one badly. she bit them on the hind end. this one has deep puncture wounds. she's in pretty bad shape. I don't know if she'll live or not. PLUS I just spent $100.00 on antibiotics/syringes this morning. :rant :somad

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no. I would definitely cry. :( Just like children, they go for the one thing you really don't want them to touch!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
BJ sorry Hope it was just play that got out of hand.
This type of playing more often than not results in serious injury or death to the one playmate that is being played with as well as costly to both owners of dog and playmate. Just a few Examples : One of my neighbors ( half mile awsy) owned 148 sheep, one day 2 of another neighbor's dogs started their "playdate" with a tag game which resulted in 72 sheep with wounds, and 39 that died shortly after . Sheep owner and the Sheriff chaced the dogs and shot them. Dog owner was identified by the dog tags. Owner of the dogs were awarded by the court TRIPLE damages ( over $10,000 ). A horse owner (about 50 miles away )of a $100,000 mare with a 2 day old foal was chase played with by a large Great Dane cross dog owned by the next door neighbor... dog killed that foal , horse owner was awarded tripple damages of $ 300,000. My accross the street neighbor had 3-- 2 month old bottle calves ... one early morning 4 dogs killed 2 of them and severely mauled the 3rd. All 4 dogs were chased down by the calf owner and his friend and destroyed. Since one of the dogs had a collar and tags, the 2 dog owners were traced down by the Sheriff and had to pay triple damages. I owned a flock of 37 laying hens... a neighbor's large mongrel female dog with her 5 half grown pups started their morning play by killing everyone of my hens. Their owner payed tripple damages as well as surrendering all of the dogs by court order. Once this type of "play" starts and the dog tastes blood , it WILL continue. I recommend sending that type of dog to the pound sooner than later.

Latest posts