aloe

houndit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does any one grow aloe? If you do please contact me I would like to by some (not seeds).
Thank you!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Aloe is very easy to grow. It's a desert plant, so the soil doesn't need to be rich. If you water it periodically, it will divide, and you can replant the babies. The ONLY thing I've ever done to kill my aloe is to leave it on the porch during a frost. It's a terrific house plant, and of course, you know it's good for burns, so I suggest you keep some in or around your kitchen. :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Aloe is very easy to grow. It's a desert plant, so the soil doesn't need to be rich. If you water it periodically, it will divide, and you can replant the babies. The ONLY thing I've ever done to kill my aloe is to leave it on the porch during a frost. It's a terrific house plant, and of course, you know it's good for burns, so I suggest you keep some in or around your kitchen. :D
Yep soil does not need to be rich or amended with compost or anything, maybe add some sand to the soil will be good.
Same exact thing happened to me last winter, i left it on the deck when frost was in the area :barnie . I had so many small plants developing around a nice big aloe plant, i was going to transplant the divisons. Oh well, trying again this year.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
:hugs--good thing they're pretty cheap to buy at the store. Go get some more, Greenthumb!! :D
Yep, they arent expensive to buy. Oh i will be getting some more.. ;) Thanks!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some. It's one of those plants that you don't do anything to... you just plant it and let it do what it does. The soil I live on is actually dune sand, 99.9% sterile. :rolleyes: It still thrives quite surprisingly. They get most of their energy from photosynthesis and through their leaves - It lives on cliffs and mountains with virtually no soil.

It's used in many remedies, but the most common is using it to put directly on cuts of burns. I'm not too crazy about the smell

BTW,
Aloe is NOT a desert plant, it actually originates from the canary Islands. They enjoy very warm weather.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aloe can live in pretty hot areas but it can sunburn so it appreciates some light shade if your area gets hot. There are actually a lot of aloes but aloe vera is the medicine plant most people think of.

Latest posts