Am I being Unreasonable ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got the written estimate on irrigation system. A big concern I have are unground wires to driveway lights. The waterline has to cross them, of coruse I was told wouldn't be a problem. I wanted in writing that any damage to wiring would be repaired by licensed electrian. Kept getting emails back wiring would be fixed if any damage, nothing about by licensed electrian. I was told that if a electral fire happened, and insurance company finds out wire work was done by unlicensed person they can refuse to pay. Is it unreasonable to ask repair made by some one licensed?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I fully agree. It is non-negotiable. Tell them the deal is off is they don't agree to a licensed electrician, then quit talking to them until they come around.

By the way, have you seen their plumbing license?

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
On his website it says licensed and insured, I sent a email asking if licensed was for plumbing. I once had a contractor tell me I was impossable

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's your house, it's your plumbing, your wiring, if he screws it up, it costs money to fix it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd ask for his license numbers to check with those state boards that issued them. I know in CA, when i was working on a project last year, that there is a website for most licensing boards that will list when the person/business got their license and if there is any pending/closed legal actions against them. if you can't find those websites i'd call the local code enforcement and drop his name to see if they know of any issues. you could also ask for names and cities he's done work for others so you can call those local code enforcers for records.

you also want to be sure his license is for the state he's doing the work in.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh, this reminds of an incident I had happen. Contractors were digging to put in an underground electrical line. They had very "sophisticated" xray type gadget that they assured me would locate my water line. I stood there and pointed to the water line area. "Never you mind, little lady." Within minutes of their digging they went right through my waterline. You are smart to be picky...you know murphy's law!

Latest posts