Am I being Unreasonable ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's worth a try but my experience with free utility marking is Arkansas One-Call. You call this number and the electric, water, and phone people come out to make sure you are not digging into the lines.

Electric guy comes out first. He tells me his line is not in my way to dig, it's up on the power poles. But what about the line going to my house? That's my problem. His line ends at the meter.

Water guy comes out next. His buried line is across the road and this is where it crosses the road to my meter. What about the line going to my house from the meter. Not his problem.

Telephone guy comes out. He traces where his line goes and marks it with paint. While he's doing this we chat and discover that our high schools back in East Tennessee play each other in football every year. His team usually wins. He not only traces his telephone cable to my house, he marks the buried electrical cable too. He could lose his job if I tell anybody about him doing that because of the liability, but I really appreciate it. The telephone company comes out and re-lays the cable to my house but the electric is right under where I want to put the building. I dig down and find it about 18" deep. When they pour the slab they don't go that deep and it works out.

I was polite with each of them instead of getting aggravated, but man I got lucky.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got the written estimate on irrigation system. A big concern I have are unground wires to driveway lights. The waterline has to cross them, of coruse I was told wouldn't be a problem. I wanted in writing that any damage to wiring would be repaired by licensed electrian. Kept getting emails back wiring would be fixed if any damage, nothing about by licensed electrian. I was told that if a electral fire happened, and insurance company finds out wire work was done by unlicensed person they can refuse to pay. Is it unreasonable to ask repair made by some one licensed?
Are those driveway lights 120 in conduit or direct buried or are they low voltage ? If low voltage, usually landscapers install landscape lighting or even owners of the home as these are sold at the big box stores ( wires layed on the surface, under bark, mulch or just covered by dirt just below the surface). Anyone can fix any damage to them !

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny. I must've gotten your guy the last time I called. I told them that I was putting in some fence posts along the left side of the drive, which is in front of the house. When I came home my entire yard looked like some sort of jigsaw puzzle. The phone line (left side of the drive in front of the house) was marked. So was the power line from the pole on the right side of the drive to the back of the house. And the power line from the pole to the barn. And the line that I put in from the well to the barn... LOL

Being a smart cookie ..... I took pictures so I will always know where the lines are.
(now if I could just remember where I put those pictures....)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! So funny that he mentioned the xray thing! Canesisters, when they mark for work on my property, they spread flags all over the place! Including along the highway that borders my property. Yeah, that is just where I was going to dig. Ugh!

Latest posts