Am I getting it?

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SOOO new to this, my compost pile smells like dirt, am I understanding how to do this? I have used my lawn trimmings with leaves chopped in, and fruit and veggie cutoffs from the kitchen, also some horse manure. I have been flipping and watering the pile almost daily. I noticed some small flying bugs, like gnats, is that normal? Do you think I'm getting the concept?
Thank you all knowing composters!

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds OK. Don't flip and water every day. Needs to sit and heat a bit. Forget about it a little.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks!
I guess I got a little excited, new toy and all ..
I'll shoot for once a week turning .. keeping damp but not dripping ..
I'm so excited .. I'm a beginning composter now!!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've also read that if you have bugs you need to bury the foodstuffs under the rest of the stuff. Might help..

muddler6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Even if you bury the food, you will still get bugs, not a big deal. With a good hot pile it will be better and break down the carbon items better, so like the others said, don't turn as much, get some manure and some garden soil to add in as well, helps out a lot!! I have made my own compost bins out of old garbage cans that had cracked bottoms. I also have two fancy ones, but I only turn my piles when the spirit moves me. I don't like to make more work for myself, and I am patient so I let it do the work for me. I also add worms to the piles when I can. After a rain I toss a handful into the piles, my yard is full of them.

Latest posts