Amarylis help

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a gold mine! Thanks to each of you who contributed something to this thread, like @AMKuska i received this one for Christmas and potted it on New Years day. I’m amazed at the speed it grew and bloomed and having never grown one of these before was lost till i found this.
we’ll see where it goes, i guess i expected something this fast to come on to also go away fast but i guess time will tell.
Anyway, it’s nice for the moment!

there are some other threads too if you search for them. one with @canesisters comes to mind, can't remember the exact title but a search should bring it up. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
What a gold mine! Thanks to each of you who contributed something to this thread, like @AMKuska i received this one for Christmas and potted it on New Years day. I’m amazed at the speed it grew and bloomed and having never grown one of these before was lost till i found this.
we’ll see where it goes, i guess i expected something this fast to come on to also go away fast but i guess time will tell.
Anyway, it’s nice for the moment!
You were fortunate. The amaryllis that I bought several years ago just threw up leaves it's first year. I dutifully planted it in the garden bed that summer, brought it in and did the dormant thing, then gave it to my DD to try at your office window. It really bloomed for her. She has changed offices now, but it went through it's dormancy and has sprouted leaves. Hope to see the result. LAST year, ALL of her co workers were looking in to see the flowering, so many people enjoyed it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You were fortunate. The amaryllis that I bought several years ago just threw up leaves it's first year. I dutifully planted it in the garden bed that summer, brought it in and did the dormant thing, then gave it to my DD to try at your office window. It really bloomed for her. She has changed offices now, but it went through it's dormancy and has sprouted leaves. Hope to see the result. LAST year, ALL of her co workers were looking in to see the flowering, so many people enjoyed it.

did the ones i sent to you bloom yet? they were close to being big enough.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's an amazing flower @Alasgun ! Mine spent the summer outside and is currently in my greenhouse. I didn't know it had to be in a dark space to flower. Perhaps I'll do that and see if I can get it to bloom again.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, the little instruction sheet said once the bloom opens move it to a place with less light to keep the bloom longer. I started this one under T-5 HO’s then moved it to the window sill after opening. In mid April when i populate the greenhouse i’ll take it out there for the summer. Gonna have to study up a bit and get a handle on it’s nutrient requirements, if it’s going to stick around long.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's an amazing flower @Alasgun ! Mine spent the summer outside and is currently in my greenhouse. I didn't know it had to be in a dark space to flower. Perhaps I'll do that and see if I can get it to bloom again.

it doesn't. or at least some of them don't need darkness at all. i leave mine sitting on this table here. as long as i stop watering them they will go dormant and gradually lose their leaves. in the next few weeks as the days get longer i'll start watering them again and then they'll start blooming and growing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! My amaryllis is sitting in its pot with leaves. For a year now. It bloomed in 2018.

i'm not sure a dormant period is required or not for blooming, but i just stop watering them in the fall and then start up again about a month or so before i want them to bloom again in the spring. i don't do anything other than trim off the dead leaves and repot once in a while. a bit of fertilzer, but i don't think they need a huge amount. if you repot them every few years in new potting soil they may not need any at all. they also don't mind being a bit crowded.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, the little instruction sheet said once the bloom opens move it to a place with less light to keep the bloom longer. I started this one under T-5 HO’s then moved it to the window sill after opening. In mid April when i populate the greenhouse i’ll take it out there for the summer. Gonna have to study up a bit and get a handle on it’s nutrient requirements, if it’s going to stick around long.
I'd love it if you keep us updated on how it does. :)

Latest posts