Amarylis help

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
So my husband got me a cute little amarylis kit. It comes with a bulb, a pot, and the soil. I planted it following instructions, and as promised it grew into a HUGE and beautiful flower. It has produced two flowers so far. It also appears to be growing a baby somehow. There's a tiny baby amarylis growing an inch or so away from the bulb. My husband expressed surprise about it. I guess it's abnormal?

What should I do? Should I try to pot it separately? Should I just leave it?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So my husband got me a cute little amarylis kit. It comes with a bulb, a pot, and the soil. I planted it following instructions, and as promised it grew into a HUGE and beautiful flower. It has produced two flowers so far. It also appears to be growing a baby somehow. There's a tiny baby amarylis growing an inch or so away from the bulb. My husband expressed surprise about it. I guess it's abnormal?

i vote for leaving it alone. :) they don't seem to mind being a bit crowded in the pot.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your ground doesn't freeze, you can set it out in a flower bed. The small bulb will continue to grow and will make another flower for you. When it gets bigger, you can separate them. Our winters are mild, we have freezes down in the 20's, sometimes in the teens, but the soil never freezes. I have some and they stay in the ground all year. The foliage freezes back, but comes back out in the early spring.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Le

Leave it a while. You can pot it up after it gets bigger. It takes forever for it to mature and bloom, so may not be worth it to you. Let the leaves on the bulb grow all winter fertilizing when ever you think of it. I put mine outside all summer. I bring indoors in the fall and let them dry up. When the foliage has died back you can begin watering again and it will rebloom for you year after year. Any of the cheap ones from the big box stores will likely give you only one or two flower stalks. Sometimes they are non blooming duds. Before I buy a bulb I open the box to see if the bud is formed at the base. You can often see a second bud forming. Sometimes the buds are too big for the box and get deformed. There are companies the sell premium bulbs that have many blooms but, of course they are more expensive. I think they are a great bulb at any price.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
This must have been a high end one I guess. It's now got two blooms on it and that will be the third total since it started. When he gave it to me I set it on my desk and forgot about it, and it burst out of the box unplanted! I decided if it wanted to grow so bad I'd pot it up, and it has been very vigorous.

I think I'll pot it up as the pot it came with was very small, and then plant it outside in the spring. It's so pretty.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This must have been a high end one I guess. It's now got two blooms on it and that will be the third total since it started. When he gave it to me I set it on my desk and forgot about it, and it burst out of the box unplanted! I decided if it wanted to grow so bad I'd pot it up, and it has been very vigorous.

I think I'll pot it up as the pot it came with was very small, and then plant it outside in the spring. It's so pretty.
They like a tight pot.The are not winer hardy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
agreed @catjac1975 they give you those tiny pots for a reason! i've repotted some thinking that they would do better by themselves but they seem very slow to increase size in comparison to those left attached to the mother bulb. i've not done any formal experiments to verify this hypothesis though so perhaps i'm just being sentimental... :)

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

I have one at home. I hope this tip I got from the internet helps.
Bring your amaryllis back inside and place it in a sunny spot. Stop watering and feeding. When the leaves turn yellow, cut them off, then move the plant to a cool, dark place with temperatures of 55-60 degrees. The bulb will need at least 8-10 weeks of rest. good luck on taking care of it. it's an amazing pant.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looking to post about roses, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have grown several amaryllis. The last one I gave to my DD, she put it on her office window ledge and it bloomed magnificently. The previous year, nothing but leaves. I think that they are worth it, but, unlike so MANY of the flowers, like iris, that we can forget about and they come back in multiples with loads of flowers, amaryllis is a tropical flower, sold around the holidays to many northern gardeners, so they require a bit more care.
This particular amaryllis I bought in late December, 2018 I let the leaves grow out and in late May I put it out in a garden spot to grow more leaves. Before you can get a bloom, you will need to dig it up, shake off ALL of the dirt, put it in a pot in a dark, dry place--even your closet will do--for up to 10 weeks.
I brought mine in before the first frost, stored it in my basement on a shelf, in it's pot and on it's side, and replanted it in the same pot I bought it in, and, 2nd year, as I said, I got flowers.
The problem is that you can forget about it, and remember after a freeze has killed the amaryllis.
Maybe if you transplant it outside, you paint a bright wooden stake, and plant it where you walk by every day, so you won't forget about it.
You DON'T have to wait for a frost to dig it up. I have seen several people grow amaryllis that are flowering in the summer or late fall.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a gold mine! Thanks to each of you who contributed something to this thread, like @AMKuska i received this one for Christmas and potted it on New Years day. I’m amazed at the speed it grew and bloomed and having never grown one of these before was lost till i found this.
we’ll see where it goes, i guess i expected something this fast to come on to also go away fast but i guess time will tell.
Anyway, it’s nice for the moment!

Attachments

• 91922BD9-D01A-4359-A70C-35D01FA122F0.jpeg
    91922BD9-D01A-4359-A70C-35D01FA122F0.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 160

Latest posts