Amaryllis-stien the monster

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
25r30wi[1].gif

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been watering it. Got another ugly set of 3 HUGE leaves.. no bloom.
I'll probably take it home and stuff it in the bulb garden. If it grows and blooms :celebrate, if not View attachment 30728

it will eventually. :) just have to be patient if it was a small bulb.

i let mine go dormant (i don't water them at all for most of fall and winter) it may take almost all winter for the leaves to all fall off since i leave them near the patio door. only one has held on to the leaves this whole time. it's by the heating vent so it gets a little warmer air at times. i'll start watering mine again in a week or two.

the largest bulb is splitting this year and there are some new shoots coming up but i'm not going to pull it apart this year, just give it some worm castings for food and then water it as usual.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided long ago that flowers have to be pretty tough to hang out with me. Probably the years of working and raising children that hastened that decision. Bulb flowers are the best! Stick them in the ground (plant them ONE time) and they come back year after year. After that, marigolds and zinnias are pretty carefree too. We have Black-eyed Susans that come up of their own accord here. I just go around them in the garden and enjoy their blooms. DH mows around them in the yard.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't toss it! Send it to me! Alex sent me 3 bulbs one year after they bloomed. Two survived and are by the fence in the garden in a protected spot. (unlike my Amaryllis patch that was planted in a mass grave and run over repeatedly by tractors and trucks-they thrived) I am hoping to see blooms on the Alex Amaryllis this year. :rainbowflower:love:hit:rainbowflower

I really need to make a REAL Amaryllis bed.

i hope the ones i sent survived?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine won't bloom either. :barnie

they will eventually... :) if they get enough light, water and have enough dirt to grow in.

what i'm curious about now is if they are never allowed to go dormant if that keeps them from flowering? i've always treated them the same way so i can't say - but i do know they take a number of years to get big enough to flower.

ok, i looked it up:

https://extension.umn.edu/house-plants/amaryllis#repotting-amaryllis-858666

and the answer is no, they do not require a dormant period before blooming but it does help for timing them if you make them go dormant.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so spoiled. I just don't have to work that hard at them. They overwinter here just fine, come up, bloom and I just water them now and then.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so spoiled. I just don't have to work that hard at them. They overwinter here just fine, come up, bloom and I just water them now and then.

if i could have one of each kind outside growing like that i would love it. :) alas, it gets way too cold up here for that...

Latest posts