Amaryllis

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is so kind of you to share your extra amaryllis at the seed swap. I hope that you find appreciative recipients, who understand the long road you travelled to get them there.

I was humming and hawing about crossing-out more amaryllis to grow from seed. Five years is a loooong time to wait for a bloom, and then if it is less than spectacular it may feel like time wasted. They are so fun to pollinate though. Last spring the seed capsule on one started shooting seeds all over my living room floor, which was hilarious. I just have to give it a go again!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i only have one kind here and started with just one bulb many years ago. i've given away about 20 bulbs so far. have about 10 still in various sizes.

i'd like plenty of the other's i've seen but never get them because i have limited space. one reason to get rid of most of what i have is so i can have room for one more other of the varieties. love the colors and the plant is perfect for me (sleeps most of the winter :) ).

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Exactly! Indoor growing space is my most limited resource, and our 1960's house has no window sills unfortunately (big windows though, floor to ceiling). Last spring I planted about 40 pre-sprouted seeds in a couple of 8" pots, and when the weather warmed I planted them out, pot-and-all, in the garden for the summer. 10 of each survived, and are growing well. In September they came in to our basement, under lights, and now they are tucked in behind the T.V. next to our living room window. I figure I can likely squeeze in a few more pots next year. Thank goodness they don't mind being grow in close quarters.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love the amaryllis pictures! I left mine behind in Lindale. Been thinking about asking if I can go back and dig some up.
My middle daughter grew very fond of a blueberry bush at a house we rented a few years back. She wanted so badly to dig it up and bring it with us when we moved! Lol! I'm sure the Landlord would've been thrilled!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fun fact on the topic of blueberry bushes: they are apparently one of a handful of plants that you can propagate by sinking the whole plant in to the ground and effectively burying the main stem. After some time the branches sticking out each can be separated off to form their own plant. There is a term for this method, but I can't recall it at the moment. Maybe someone else has heard of it? It is top of mind for me because I have a sad looking little blueberry bush that I might try this on. They say it is a rather drastic way to propagate-- but it works!

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fun fact on the topic of blueberry bushes: they are apparently one of a handful of plants that you can propagate by sinking the whole plant in to the ground and effectively burying the main stem. After some time the branches sticking out each can be separated off to form their own plant. There is a term for this method, but I can't recall it at the moment. Maybe someone else has heard of it? It is top of mind for me because I have a sad looking little blueberry bush that I might try this on. They say it is a rather drastic way to propagate-- but it works!
Another way to invigorate the bush is to cut it back like you're going to rip it out and want to make it easier to manage digging it up. Ask me how I know. >.>

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

that's a rather radical form of air-layering! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had one for years. I learned FINALLY last year that I don't water it when its blooming, cus it wilts right away. I got a free one at an estate sale this past fall and its blooming one single stalk!

huh, i've just watered mine about every other week or so, i let them get fairly dry in between watering because they are in pots without any drainage holes so if i overwater them they'll get mad for a while. i still have not managed to kill any of them off completely (not that i'm trying)...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
huh, i've just watered mine about every other week or so, i let them get fairly dry in between watering because they are in pots without any drainage holes so if i overwater them they'll get mad for a while. i still have not managed to kill any of them off completely (not that i'm trying)...
After a major fungus gnat issue last year I have taken to watering them only every second week. I go to great lengths to bottom water, even in pots without drainage. I use a dinner knife to create a water chute down the side of the container, to direct the stream of water towards the bottom of the pot. So far they seem happy, and if they're happy, I'm happy! :)

Latest posts