amazing chicken and veggies diet.... have lost 30 pounds

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Found a great way to lose weight. First get a chicken coop and chickens. Let them out occasionally to eat bugs... burn 1000 calories chasing a stubborn rooster back into the coop

Next.... decide you're going to grow lots of healthy veggies in a garden. Battle the tiller and stubborn kansas dirt. Crawl around for hours pulling weeds and planting. And of course spend most of your time maintaining both projects so you don't have time to eat. trying to get the darned veggies to grow is enough... don't have to eat em.... (j/k loved em)

It works.... lost 30 pounds so far...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratrulations Naughty! Last winter I lost 35 pounds. Hyperthyroid helped a lot, but so did hauling 130 or so 10 cubic foot wheelbarrow loads of compost each an eighth of a mile, then back. Weighing around 165 feels better, except most of my pants are very loose now. One pair I had since 1990 or so fit just right, but they have lots of holes.

Time for new clothes. That's a GOOD thing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Naughty! I guess you are saying that this is a good thing!

I can lose as much as 15 pounds every summer. So far this time, I'm down 8 pounds. In recent years, I've never lost less than 10. So, we will see how it goes.

Keeping it off is difficult but I only gained back 10# last winter, the least ever - since I got on this rollercoaster :rolleyes:.

I blame the More diet. I ate 3 servings of fruit every morning for breakfast. It was difficult for me to have much interest in my usual cereal and toast after so much fruit. Veggies have long been an important part of my diet. I tried to put special emphasis on them thru the winter when they weren't coming fresh from the gardens. "Dieting" was real easy with this approach to foods :). I may have to really rely on it over the next few months if I can't drop a few more pounds :/.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was the skinny person everyone loves to hate. :lol: My ribs and hip bones poked out all my life until I hit my mid 40's. Then I finally gained some weight and now at 57, 5'8" I weigh 140 pounds. I have curves. I have a shape.........and it is NOT a 2"x4" :lol: My weight moves a few pounds and then back, never more or less. I am OK with that. I know that advanced age, which many of my family live to their 90's or 100's, brings weight loss with it, so if I have a few pounds in my favor, I can lose 20 pounds and still be OK. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Naughty, your post made me giggle! One of the first years we got chickens- we had a hole in the fence and didn't know it. Everyday, 2 or 3 times a day, we would have an escape chicken. At which time I would take off running and go grab the bird. I got really skinny that year! I also discovered the hole and patched it... now I am back to not being skinny!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
trying to get the darned veggies to grow is enough... don't have to eat em....
:yuckyuck
Too true!

I think I must burn more calories chasing after the neighbor's dogs! :p

I didn't get to do much gardening or outside work this summer, which might have helped get the baby pounds off. 10 more of those to go, but really need to lose more than that. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things next year!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with you Naughty.... I've lost enough weight from keeping chickens and growing our gardens I don't think I need weight watchers. Maybe we should start our own company, "Weight Tillers". :/

Latest posts