Amazing clover type thing with 3 triangular crimson leaves

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Not only that, the leaves "fold down" to a sort-of 3-sided pyramid at night. About a half hour after turning my lamp on in my office (pretty bright uplight reflecting off the ceiling), the leaves are fully up & reaching for the light.

These were give to me by a co-worker from the Caribbean who says he doesn't know what it is, but that they call it "butterfly plant"... he said to plant it in dirt when it gets a "ginger root" type root at the bottom.

Any idea?

thx
Andrew

butterflyplant.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother has grown one for many years, as an indoor plant. The amount of abuse they will take is quite amazing! I think the reddish leaves will have a pink flower, the greener has a white bloom. Enjoy!

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow! Always pictured the green ones...

Hope I can keep this one alive. Any idea if I should keep it inside during the winter? I found a few mentions of shamrocks being perennial, but can't find much on this one.

Thanks,
Andrew

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a dark red one currently (just got it, couldn't resist) and it's blooming white. But I used to have some planted at the base of a tree that bloomed pink in the spring. Then they went dormant in the summer and I'd forget about them until spring again. That was in So Cal.
I'll have to remember to bring this one in Lesa, since you say they can take a lot of abuse, that's right up my alley! :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This may be your plant, Andrew:

Oxalis triangularis

There is a video of the leaves of O. triangularis closing at night.

One species of this Oxalis family (O. tuberosa) produces edible tubers that are called Oca. This is something really new to me since I thought all the critters in this family were somewhat toxic.

digitaliS'

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So pretty, I want to grow some!

Latest posts