AMKuska's 2021 Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
AMK', remember that those "La Madera" seeds have genes from as many as 4 different C. maxima winter squash ;).

We have to recognize your geographical location when thinking about hardening-off. Recognize that UV sunlight does not pass through glass or plastic easily. However, those puffy clouds rolling off that great Pacific Ocean - the UV rays burn their way right through those! Sunburn can happen even on a cool day. With plants, we tend to call it sunscald.

I have what I think of as a "sweet spot" in the backyard. It's on the southside of the house but there is a deciduous tree directly south of that "spot." The back stairs are directly to the west. I can slide a half sheet of plywood against the side of those stairs if there is very much wind from the west.

Most of the hardening-off time is before the tree has leaves. Eastern exposure really seems to help but light is limited by noon and as the sun moves into the western sky. Right up against the south wall but it's quite a comfortable location. I try not to be jealous of the plants :).

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digits okay, so it's a "designer" La Madera. It's the puggle of the plant world. :) I still can't wait!!

I'll try leaving them in the shade of my trees for hardening off this year. They are all evergreens so always have shade.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
First broccoli is up!
IMG_9407.JPG

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The starts are doing well! My tomatoes are up now as well. I planted peas and lettuce outside today. They each went into their own garden bed. I also planted a tomato in each of the yogurt tubs I've saved through the year, and I plan to give these away to neighbors once they sprout. Tomatoes are always popular.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son came home from his grandmas proudly baring a Venus Fly Trap. He's wanted one for ages but I could never find one when we were out. He knows all about how to care for them. I am now happily renting it to get rid of some moisture bugs in my green house. Poor little plant is now stuffed with all its little heads shut and a juicy gnat inside.

Latest posts