AMKuska's 2023 Garden

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
husbands are sooooo helpful....................
...but they need close supervision. One winter many years ago I asked my husband to dig up a lilac bush to move it from the back yard to the front yard. I almost fainted when he came around the corner hauling my five foot tall prized, rare pure white single blossom camelia shrub instead. He thought it was a lilac. :lol:

Last edited:

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
...but they need close supervision. One winter many years ago I asked my husband to dig up a lilac bush to move it from the back yard to the front yard. I almost fainted when he came around the corner hauling my five foot tall prized, rare pure white single blossom camelia shrub instead. He thought it as a lilac. :lol:
Did it survive?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there was no risk to me being planted ..

. I would dig a hole so that everything in Composter#1 could be placed in the hole where it is at least 8" below the surface. See, not 6 feet under ... Kitchen scraps will decompose and be of use for this year's plants. It's also my preference to do this with finished compost.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my composting situation...
He then filled the composter almost the whole way with dirt to 'help' it.

I asked him not to do this in the future, but in the mean time I have a large load of dirt with veggie scraps finely mixed through it. If I take it out, rats will sort through the dirt to get the vegetable stuff. Sifting it would be a really icky process as some of it is rotted now.
When you are ready, bc it is a BIG job to move this dirt stuff, dig a trench in one of your garden beds, big enough that THIS STUFF can fill it AND you can pile garden dirt on top of it.
EDIT:
Sorry @digitS' !
I blew through YOUR post, which said the same thing. :rolleyes:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you both @digitS' and @ducks4you ! As it happens I haven't finished my big garden yet, and it needs to be amended. I will happily dig a deep hole to get ride of my compost problem. It's no trouble to dig a deep hole. I have two children who adore digging holes and will mole their way down just fine. ;-)