An Assortment of Tomatoes

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mother is having a small break with one of her sisters. They visited a deli and send me these pictures because I love tomatoes.

IMG-20180614-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20180614-WA0007.jpg

They didn't even buy tomatoes! :lol::lol::lol:
I would have had trouble choosing :barnie
What a spread !

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful display!

Here is something that I can appreciate about age. I was around before fluorescent lighting and at a time when homeowners and shopkeepers were beginning to install large windows. I can remember the first "super" market that opened in the nearby city.

Before big stores with adequate lighting, grocery stores tended to be small shops. Lightning wasn't good, displays didn't amount to much. Cardboard and wood boxes and bins ... often, the produce didn't look all that great, on closer inspection.

We made a 180 degree turn with the supermarkets. Appearance meant everything in the produce aisle. Mass production took over on farms and variety choice shrunk. Food flavor? We left that to the food chemists of packaged foods.

The store management where your mother is must have made a sharp, right turn by emphasizing not only appearance but great selection and, I bet, local farm production. What a great thing for consumers.

I have to admit smiling a little. If I counted right, the photographs look like they show nearly 40 varieties to choose from. The encouraging reality is that some of us have numbers of choices approaching that in our own gardens. Few stores but a single gardener, with a special interest in tomatoes, could match those choices!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have so many volunteers this spring!

The compost, worms and soil micro-organisms are always hungry but they must see tomato seeds as parts of the plan for the next year's cover crop!

Micro-organisms give quite a lot of thought to things like that ...

:D Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thejenx, I think I remember seeing a documentary about the Netherlands that said they are able to grow nearly all their own food, and take advantage of commercial greenhouse gardening in large scale.

That is really a beautiful picture of abundance. Do you suppose they are able to sell that much produce in small purchases such as one would expect from a deli? Or maybe your definition of deli is different than in the US.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother is having a small break with one of her sisters. They visited a deli and send me these pictures because I love tomatoes.

View attachment 26765 View attachment 26764

They didn't even buy tomatoes! :lol::lol::lol:
I would have had trouble choosing :barnie
What a spread !

yep, choice paralysis, i get that, too many choices and i can just throw up my hands and walk away.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
for every large produce section you hope they have some piggies someplace to eat the stuff that doesn't sell.

or worm composters will gladly take it. if i lived in town i would make a habit of knowing all the local shops that sold food for getting free scraps for the worms/gardens.

Latest posts