an extra empty garden bed... votes?

LazyMaisie

Sprout
Reaction score
Due to my general inattention to detail, my paths between beds were actually 15", instead of 24"... apparently this has caused me to have an extra 4'x8' bed on each side of my middle aisle. I am stumped as to what to plant, since I think I've really got my bases covered (potatoes, corn, beans, peas, kale, cabbage, onions, spinach, carrots, peppers, radishess, tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, leeks, basil, parsley, sunflowers....) with the rest of the garden. I would like to plant something we'll eat (pretty conventional tastes) and also want something that makes financial sense to grow at home... we're in zone 3 1/2, what do you think?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TURNIPS OR PARSNIPS!!!!!!!!

I so wanted to plant some this year, and forgot! So great and sweet added to mashed potatoes or they make an excellent cream soup. Mmmm

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about succession planting to extend the harvest of something you already have?

I'm putting in a row of bush beans every two weeks -- about 12 seeds across the short direction of a 4x8 bed, I think I'll get 4-5 rows in there.

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would say, considering your zone- stick to transplants or seeds of cool weather crops. Do you like beets, turnips, broccoli?? Are you planning on canning tomato sauce? If so, you can't have too many tomatoes...
Peppers are super easy to freeze- just cut up and put into a bag. So, if you eat a lot of peppers through the winter, maybe a few extra plants.
Don't forget you should be able to get in a second crop of beans, too!
Good luck and Happy Gardening!

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
How about succession planting to extend the harvest of something you already have?

I'm putting in a row of bush beans every two weeks -- about 12 seeds across the short direction of a 4x8 bed, I think I'll get 4-5 rows in there.

-Wendy
X2. I think this is a great idea.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could a gardener have too many storage crops?

You have remembered the leeks and Vfem suggested the parsnips - both of which I neglected to plant this year. I suppose I'm not too late for parsnips but . . . later than I've ever been. Leeks count as a storage crop since I don't have trouble getting them to Christmas & beyond in the fridge.

Quite a bit of discussion about onions from sets around here lately. No, they don't make as large of bulbs as plants from Texas, especially the sweet onions, but the sets are storage varieties and with suitable environment can last well into the winter.

Is there a fingerling potato you have been curious about trying?

I just planted my soybeans :D! Edamame for late summer and tofu for winter . . .

Steve
Welcome to TEG, Maisie :frow!

Latest posts