Anaerobic compost can do the job

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last Summer I had quite a bit of composting material in a tumbler and it got too wet. It went anaerobic (stunk to high Heaven) Soldier flies moved into it and did their thing. I decided to just let it do its own thing. This Spring it looked about broken down and had lost most of the odor so I opened the tumbler and let it dry out a bit. I then removed it and spread it about 4 inches thick over the ground. I planted tomatoes in it and they did great. These are the tomatoes. On the left is Mortgage lifter and on the right Brandywine, planted about a month later. I have not added a bit of additional fertilizer, just watered as necessary and that's all. The mortgage lifter are about 6 feet tall and just starting to ripen the first tomatoes. Brandywines are just starting to set the first blossoms. I have had NO pest problems at all and have not seen any fungus or viruses. The plants look as healthy as tomatoes can get.

6858_anaerobic.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's great, Hoodat! I've been curious how your tomatoes are getting along.

The anaerobic decomposition must be a lot of what is going on when I bury my compostables. The soil is so rocky that I can't help but think that there is a fair amount of air in it and that might be why it works well for me. I don't know.

Perhaps it wouldn't work so great to bury compostables in clay soil.

I see your pvc tomato cages have a lot to hold up this year ;)!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those tomato cages are kind of creaking at the joints but they're holding up. I didn't bury the compost at all. Just put a thick layer on top of the ground and scraped a hole in it where I plopped in a tomato plant.
I have another batch cooking right now for next Spring planting. I hope I can come up with enough to do more than the tomatoes but my rabbit poop takes up the slack.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't mean I buried the compost (altho' I will do that, also).

I bury green leaves and such. Also, I bury the frost-killed plants at the end of the growing season.

It might be something of a slimy mess down there under 8" to 10" of soil but that doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to bother plants growing on top of that soil. But as I say, I have very rocky soil and that may help with this approach to composting.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, hoodat- that is a forest of tomatoes!! I would say they really liked the compost! My Mortgage Lifters are about 3 feet tall...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've always said if you can't grow tomatos in San Diego you can't grow them at all. The area I garden was part of the tomato capital of the world for many years till they plunked houses down on all the tomato fields.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful tomatoes. ...they probably dont have problems because they are strong healthy plants!! Very impressive.

Latest posts