And I thought I had it bad....

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Spring fever has set in early this year. I have been wanting the winter to end so I can get back outside in the dirt, and the seed catalogs are not helping, but yesterday my 2 1/2 yo got one up on me. He saw the peas on the plate that we had for dinner, took a few and said he was going outside. I asked him why he thought he was going outside with the peas and he said, to put them in the garden to grow! *sigh* He looks at the garden and wants to plant as bad, or worse, than I do. :lol: I'm so proud.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is a wonderful thing to have them so interested so young!!!!! Makes me smile when my 2 yo pets our little sprouts and calls them nice and pretty. I even let her plant a couple carrot seeds yesterday. We'll see how they do with us being in the 30s and 40 all this week.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's so cute. I thought about maybe starting some cold crops from seed indoors, like spinach and some other lettuces, just to tide us over. It is going to be only 15 degrees during the day here on Friday, so I know winter hasn't finished with us yet. I am just impressed that he remembered planting the peas last year in the garden. Toddler minds are like steel traps!! I wish I could remember what I did last week from time to time! :gig

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's wonderful that your child already loves to garden! I let my kids, nieces and nephews pick out 1-2 items from the catalogues each year to get them excited about gardening :) It sure helps me get a lot more work done when all the kids are happy to be in the garden with me!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
He was pretty good at planting the peas last year in the holes we made for him. I also found peas growing with the cukes, the tomatoes, and the eggplants. :rolleyes: A lot of fun. He also got very good at choosing the red tomatoes that were ready to pick. The chickens loved it when he was in there helping me because he would sneak back to the gate and throw them some of the tomatoes. They learned that he was their best friend.

Latest posts