And then there was one

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My poor little Pumpkin is the only survivor of my flock. A racoon got Pepper and a weasel got Cadbury. Now Pumpkin is having a hard molt and is so lonely. DH said I cant get new chickens til we build the new coop that we’ve been trying to construct for a few months now. I would go sit with her but it’s raining and I cant leave the baby in the house by herself too much. Figured you guys would understand my upset

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My poor little Pumpkin is the only survivor of my flock. A racoon got Pepper and a weasel got Cadbury. Now Pumpkin is having a hard molt and is so lonely. DH said I cant get new chickens til we build the new coop that we’ve been trying to construct for a few months now. I would go sit with her but it’s raining and I cant leave the baby in the house by herself too much. Figured you guys would understand my upset
Bring the chicken in and put it in a box. I would get one more hen or find it a new home. It will not bee able to keep itself warm in the winter.. Excuse my ignorance. How cold do your winters get?

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We can’t have her in the house. Its too small. But we’re cracking down on getting the coop finished. The temps change yearly but the lowest i can remember was 15 degrees. Snow is my biggest worry, i can use heat lamps for cold but snow equals wet which can make the cold worse despite a heat lamp. Im hoping to have the new coop done by thanksgiving and then calling a local lady who has a huge flock

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry that you had to lose 2 of your babies. I like your plan. Make a big push to finish that coop.

Sometimes circumstances push us to do projects we normally wouldn’t do right away.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Finish the coop and then buy enough more hens to fill it to keep her warm. I doubled my flock last December and was SOOO glad that they each had 11 others to keep them all warm. I do NOT heat my coop, but they were all plenty warm.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs I had the same thing happen raccoon got in hen house killed every bird. Use their death as a lesson on building a predator proof coop. If your having such a hard time hire someone to build it for you. I am only way i know it will be built to last. BYC has a whole forum on coop building check it out

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a coop frame and the stuff to frame the fencing its just having time. Our five month old makes it hard for both of us to work on it at the same time plus having the same days off.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you have a lot of company seems their are a lot of babies here this fall. Few threads on them you might want to read I think one is bragging grandparents

Latest posts