Annual Sweet Peas help please.

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered a bunch of annual sweet pea seeds from Thompson and Morgan. I started them in a jiffy plastic topped seed starting kit. 2 varieties grew well and are now about 13" tall about a month later. The rest did nothing. I opened the jiffy pots and the seeds were mush. I started a new batch on the 31st. Should I be doing something special. I have never grown Sweet Peas before but I am hoping to plant a bed 25' long to cover an ugly fence. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Adam
Zone 7 Memphis TN

Chatsworth and Apple blossom were the 2 that did well. Matucana, Rosea and Blue Ripple did nothing if that helps. I have about 6 more varieties due this week. I know America was one but I cant remember the rest.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would plant them outside and skip the jiffy pots. It should be warm enough in your zone to plant them right now.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I would plant them outside and skip the jiffy pots. It should be warm enough in your zone to plant them right now.
I completely agree... this will stop them from dampening off, which sounds like it may be an issue with your pots.

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Martha (Stewart that is) says in her book Gardening Month by Month to sow the seeds out side during March and April (March 17 thru April to be exact), but The Sweet Pea Book (author's name escapes me) says it is better to start them indoors. So I wasn't sure which to do.

Latest posts