Another bean story, how Emilia got her name...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I think I've found an Italian land race related to my Emilia's Italian pole bean, this one 'Billo', although mine have been over here since 1911:). Most years the color on the seed coats is a little lighter then shown for Billo but one year I gave them a bit of fertilizer and the color on the seed coat was violet, I was concerned for awhile as I thought they might of crossed but growing them out again they proved to be true. It says Billo's use is a dry bean but we've always eaten it as a snap.
A picture of Billo
Billo.png

The information on this one...
Origin: Cuneo province
Italian Region: Piemont
Consumption form: Dry Seed
Growth Habit: Climbing
Seed Colour: Light brown (Violet)
Type of seed coat pattern: Striped
Seed Shape: Oval
100 seed weight (g): 77

Note: The cultivation of this ecotypes started in the 1950's when seeds from Lamon (see Veneto regions) were introduced in the Cuneo province.

Emilia's
DSCN2122.jpg

Curiosity might of killed cat but satisfaction brought it back. I think all my searching finally paid off :).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Note: The cultivation of this ecotypes started in the 1950's when seeds from Lamon (see Veneto regions) were introduced in the Cuneo province."
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.40.42 PM.png

Emilia's Italian came over here in 1911 from the province of Udine in Northern Italy.
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.51.06 PM.png

:celebrateI don't think I have to look any further, another mystery solved.

Annette

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight very nice story and thread..

since i am starting to expand my bean vocabulary <more than green beans> have a question for you, when you cook these wonderful looking beans do they loss their colors. as in doing a multi bean soup?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@majorcatfish I haven't had much experience cooking dry beans or shellies for that matter, we like our snap beans:). The only dry bean I've cooked with is Gigandes and that bean is white. The few steamed shellies I've tried, the color patterns have faded when steamed, most turn a murky shade, but oh so tasty. Unfortunately Emilia's like all the other striped pods cooked as a snap bean and even purple podded beans turn to green when cooked. Wax beans retain their color tho :). As far as dry beans go, Russ could tell you more about them.
Annette

Latest posts