another book question

Reaction score
does anyone have any suggestions for reference books on heritage varieties? i would like to branch out of the run-of-the-mill varieties this coming year but i don't really know where to start. is there a veggie encyclopedia or something?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just order a few seed catelogs. Like from Seed Savers Exchange, Seeds of Change, Baker Creek. There is also Parks and Burpee and Johnnies.

Basically All catelogs have something different and lots of similar stuff. If you want to branch out try a white eggplant verses the normal black beauty or popcorn instead of sweet corn.

Reaction score
as per someone else's recommendation, i've ordered a catalog from Baker's, and i'll look into the others you suggested. thanks!

my real interest is in tomatoes, beans, and greens. i can't wait til next summer when i've got dozens of tomato varieties to choose from!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi biblio and :welcome,

Here's a website my grandpa shared with me, specializing in heirloom tomatoes and beans (real beans!) of the Appalachian area (I see you are in TN, so this might be particularly interesting to you then).

I plan on ordering from them this year, once I am able to narrow down my selection a little! This fella really has a passion for preserving heritage varieties.

Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center Inc. (The tomato varieties available are listed on the same page as the beans, btw.)

Reaction score
thank you! that's amazing.

i love tomatoes and beans and i love Southern Appalachia, so what could be better than combining the two? that's one thing i've noticed, even people who are interested in preserving Appalachian culture tend to overlook our heirloom veggies. they preserve the recipes but lose the traditional ingredients.

Latest posts