another canning leakage question...

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just canned 6 quarts of tomatoes last night, I water bathed them for the right amount of time and didn't over tighten them and did everything according to directions. Well when I took them out of the water bath and set them on the counter to cool off there was a bit of water on the cover so I tilted them a bit to get the hot water off then set them down, that's when I noticed a bit of tomato juices rolled down the side of the jar and onto the cloth I set them on. When they were cooled off this morning the seals were all good and strong, I unscrewed the top and tested the lid so all is good. My question is if they leak while processing doesn't food particles get caught in the seal so it can possibly make the batch bad? I've never had a bad seal but I've had leakage, what should I look out for?

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes it's possible... the seal might hold up or it might not, it could be an extremely slow leak that you won't notice right away. If at any point you lose the suction, assume the batch went bad. I'd probably redo them, I'm not very daring when it comes to food.