Another Deer Harvested Today - Anybody Know How to Tan Hides?

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If anyone still needs any info let me know. I typically put up 2 to 6 deer a year and alum tan a large percentage of the hides. Tanning is easy, if you want them softened that's where the real work lies.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm interested, I have multiple hides salted and fleshed, and am getting neem oil soon to soften and finish them. Id like to know how others do it. :pop

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
As Den Mother for a Cub Scout troop, I got green deer hides from a guy that had a processing plant and bunch of little boys and I staked them out in my backyard, scraped and salted them and let them dry. Over the weeks, we washed off the salt, oiled them up and worked them to passably soft over the bars on the swing set. Since we all took turns at being den parents, the next month, the Den Father took the boys to someone who made stone arrow heads. For the banquet that year, the boys built an tee-pee with their deer hides and laid quivers of arrows with bows for their display. They won first place.

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I typically alum tan my hides. A real reasonable form of alum you can get that works fine is Poultry Grade alum and can be bought in 20-25 pound bags at a feed or poultry supply store. I found a site that has same proportions of salt, water, and alum I use. In addition it has a recipe for getting hair off I've used with good success too. I have also used lye. I've probibly done 20 or more using this.

http://www.shanepotter.com/hidetanning.html

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I typically alum tan my hides. A real reasonable form of alum you can get that works fine is Poultry Grade alum and can be bought in 20-25 pound bags at a feed or poultry supply store. I found a site that has same proportions of salt, water, and alum I use. In addition it has a recipe for getting hair off I've used with good success too. I have also used lye. I've probibly done 20 or more using this.

http://www.shanepotter.com/hidetanning.html
Thanks! and Thanks for everyone else that has an interest in tanning too. What about tanning leaving the hair/fur on?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
This isn't related to the hide, but if you really don't want to waste anything...there is probably someone in your area who feeds their dog raw and would love any bits and bobs you don't want. (The head, the hooves, any unpalatable organs etc.) I know there's a dozen people in my area with "Want" ads on craigslist.

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I normally tan with hair on unless I'm out of leather. I don't soften and use for wall hangings. 1 lb alum, 2.5 lb salt. Desolve alum in 1 gal warm water, mix salt in 4 gal, mix together and soak hide for 7 to 10 days. Longer is better than shorter. Skin out as much of tail as you can without damaging.

As far as scrap, I make jerky with it for my dogs. They love it for treats and I know its safe for them. Getting paranoid about China.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you very much, this was the method I was planning on using on my next set of hides. :thumbsup

bgreen415

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
One other tip too. When/if you tack out the hide on a board after tanning, do NOT tack out the tail. It will tear as it shrinks/ dries. Tack strips if cardboard over the tail flattening it out and allowing it to dry and shrink.

Latest posts