Another flower question

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started morning glories from seeds, and Evelyn did. It was just potting soil. I transplanted them into big pots and used same potting soil. They look good. I have them hardened off and lots of leaves and it looks like flowers about to open, but they don't. I did some reading and I found it said they might not bloom if the soil was too rich. You would get leaves but no flowers. If the potting soil is too rich, what could I add to the soil?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started morning glories from seeds, and Evelyn did. It was just potting soil. I transplanted them into big pots and used same potting soil. They look good. I have them hardened off and lots of leaves and it looks like flowers about to open, but they don't. I did some reading and I found it said they might not bloom if the soil was too rich. You would get leaves but no flowers. If the potting soil is too rich, what could I add to the soil?

hmm, i wonder if it is too cool still for them or if they aren't getting enough light. they do need and like full sun and warmth.

i was also wondering if they were day-length sensitive but i haven't found anything about that so strike that... :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
hmm, i wonder if it is too cool still for them or if they aren't getting enough light. they do need and like full sun and warmth.

i was also wondering if they were day-length sensitive but i haven't found anything about that so strike that... :)
They have been getting full sun. I am not sure about how warm they like it. We have had a few days of 60s and 70s and they were in the greenhouse until a few days ago. I have planted them in the ground before and had them bloom.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you take a picture? Morning glories start to close as soon as the sun hits them in the morning. Sometimes earlier if it’s really hot. So you may just be missing the blooms. And yes they generally like poor soil but potting soil shouldn’t be rich enough to keep them from blooming unless you added more fertilizer.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you take a picture? Morning glories start to close as soon as the sun hits them in the morning. Sometimes earlier if it’s really hot. So you may just be missing the blooms. And yes they generally like poor soil but potting soil shouldn’t be rich enough to keep them from blooming unless you added more fertilizer.
I bet that's it!!! I wondered if I was missing the blooms. In Kansas I remember them wild, and I would walk by them and they were in the shade. They faced west and were on the side of the neighbors house, so they would have bloomed all morning until the sun came over the house. Mine are where morning sun will hit them.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to get close up of what I thought was one trying to bloom. I guess I need to try to find a place where they will have no sun in the morning. I have heavenly blue and I also have Grandpa Ott. I am not sure which one this pot is. One pot has both kind in it. I am almost thinking of taking them out of this wire, thing and burying them in the garden, but I wanted to see them from the house.
IMG_9391.JPG
IMG_9392.JPG

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don’t see any buds yet. Morning glories take a long time to bloom. Some varieties can take over a hundred days and most take at least 80. I think they just need more time. They will be probably be happy whether you leave them in the ground or in the pot. I’ve put 2 plants in the same birdhouse gourd on the porch and they still bloomed for months though they needed daily watering and they did need the occasional fertilizer but only because it was such a tiny pot. They also like it on the dry side and are very drought tolerant.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t see any buds yet. Morning glories take a long time to bloom. Some varieties can take over a hundred days and most take at least 80. I think they just need more time. They will be probably be happy whether you leave them in the ground or in the pot. I’ve put 2 plants in the same birdhouse gourd on the porch and they still bloomed for months though they needed daily watering and they did need the occasional fertilizer but only because it was such a tiny pot. They also like it on the dry side and are very drought tolerant.
So those are new leaves? You put morning glories in a birdhouse gourd? 😍😍😍😍😍😍. I will watch the watering. Do you have a picture of the birdhouse gourd?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So those are new leaves? You put morning glories in a birdhouse gourd? 😍😍😍😍😍😍. I will watch the watering. Do you have a picture of the birdhouse gourd?
Yes new leaves!
I might. I’ll have to check my computer. I think it was 2019 so I hopefully I have some pics. Unfortunately my computer crashed in 2018 and my phone in 2019 so I’ve lost a lot of my garden photos from that time frame.

Latest posts