Another newbie from BYC

Casa de la Luna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi! I've actually been lurking awhile now but finally joined today like a lot of BYCers have. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! How funny- if you can't talk about chickens, might as well talk about gardening! Great to have you. What are your garden plans?

BayouGypsy

Sprout
Reaction score
:)Hi, I'm a newbie from BYC, also! I never knew this place existed until about 5 minutes ago! Awesome!

Cass

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm suffering chicken withdrawl, so I'll go with my second love... GARDENING.

Seed catalogs in almost every mail delivery. Looooove it.

Now I have to find my large, very large, envelope of seeds left from last year so I know what to order for this year.

And I am already looking for new wood to make a few more raised beds. (my soil is so poor I have to put compost in raised beds to even grow weeds)

Casa de la Luna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Welcome! How funny- if you can't talk about chickens, might as well talk about gardening! Great to have you. What are your garden plans?
Hi lesa! I've been gardening a lot longer than I've been raising chickens but there are a lot of gardeners on BYC and I needed more help with chickens a few years ago since I hadn't had any for many years.

Well my plans are probably way too ambitious (I always overdo) but I've already ordered my seeds to start in the greenhouse/potting shed. I've got a bunch of heirloom tomatoes (9 types) coming as well as eggplant (2 types), corn (2 types), a bunch of different salad greens, melons, potatoes, strawberries, carrots, zuchs, cucumbers and I've ordered a hazelnut tree as well. My back aches just thinking about it but we live quite a ways from town and heading to the store at the last minute is just not possible out here.

How about you? :)

Hi to everyone else! What are you all planning to put in this year?

cmclean

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello from Pasadena, Texas. (Also a member of BYC!) I am picking tomatoes from my fall garden!! We have really had a mild "winter" so far! I just planted lettece and sugar snap peas from seed. I plan to plant red skin potatoes in February. I am letting my tomato and sweet bell pepper plants be for now. They are both still providing fruit! We love purple hull peas. I will put those in the ground in March. I had great luck with them last year. They just kept producing well into early fall.

Casa de la Luna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cmclean said:
Hello from Pasadena, Texas. (Also a member of BYC!) I am picking tomatoes from my fall garden!! We have really had a mild "winter" so far! I just planted lettece and sugar snap peas from seed. I plan to plant red skin potatoes in February. I am letting my tomato and sweet bell pepper plants be for now. They are both still providing fruit! We love purple hull peas. I will put those in the ground in March. I had great luck with them last year. They just kept producing well into early fall.
Wow, I'm so jealous! I moved here from a very mild climate and it was quite an adjustment to get used to having such a short growing season. Where I lived in CA I had roses year round except for a couple really cold winters (into the 20s!!! lol). Citrus too year round. Here it gets below zero. BRRRR! Quite a change for this west coast gal. :/ I am trying a few things this year that I haven't braved up here before. Hope they do okay. :fl

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I am really interested in the hazlenut idea. Is it a tree or a bush? I would really like to grow some kind of nut...

Casa de la Luna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Oh, I am really interested in the hazlenut idea. Is it a tree or a bush? I would really like to grow some kind of nut...
It has to be trimmed to maintain a tree look. Up here that's tough though, the plant will die out from freeze during winter but it is root hardy so grows back each year. Not even sure it will make it here but I want to try. :)

Latest posts