Another Pruning Year, another pruning question...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think so!!! :lol: I'll check this nest in the fall for hairs from my dog. If it has his hair in it, I'll be keeping this nest. That's how I keep a memory of each of my good dogs in this life....I have a nest with the hair from each of those that have passed on. I like the thought of their hair keeping babies warm and it's a beautiful work of art with their essence in it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This weekend was dry, but cold. Still, I could get some work done. I finished pruning my fruit trees, only have the grapes to prune. THAT's a first!
I haven't pruned the horse's apple tree in 5 years, and last year (2016) I had to saw off a dead branch, so I really needed to give it some pruning love:

Here is my "red" (not sure what kind) apple tree. I neglected it for 3 years and there is a limb with black on it that I will chop next winter. I took a LOT of live wood off this year and I don't want to push my luck:

My little pear tree gave me 50 pears 2 years ago, but a freeze blighted it last year. I didn't discover this until August and I cringed to cut 8-10 past the dead wood. It wants to live and I lightly pruned it, too:

I haven't pruned my peach at ALL until this year. It's really tall and the tallest branches bore 8 perfect peaches last year. It, too, suffered from a late freeze and I thought that I had lost all the fruit until my DH told me he saw peaches while mowing last summer:

I also got saw happy and cleaned up my purple Rose of Sharon:

I even cleaned up everything that I cut off!

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm jealous that you can see your ground.
I will be starting my pruning work this week also, but I'll be wading through calf deep snow for my jobs in town.

I have to wear snowshoes in my yard to get to the apple trees in front.