Another stupid tomato sucker question

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've looked through the posts (using the search), but can't seem to find the answer...

I think I read somewhere that you only pinch off the suckers on indeterminate varieties...right? Or do I have it backwards? Having planted both, I would like to train them properly from the very start.:/

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On determinate varieties most of the fruit is borne on the side shoots so you would want to leave them alone.
On indeterminate varieties you have a choice to make. if you want a lot of tomatoes you leave them on. If you want bigger tomatoes (but less of them) you take off the suckers so all of the fruit is borne on the main stem.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BTW the two types are for different purposes. Determinate varieties ripen most of their fruit within a short period and then they are done. This is the variety you want if you want a lot of fruit at the same time for canning or marketing purposes. Most commercial tomatoes are determinate.
If you want a supply of tomatoes all through the season you want indeterminate varieties. Most heirlooms are indeterminate.
On determinates the fruit forms at the end of the branch and growth of that branch then stops.
On indeterminates a shoot continues beyond the fruit and then forms another fruit cluster and goes on beyond that etc. You need to have room for indeterminates to keep growing throughout the season. Determinates reach maturity and then stop growing.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! I planted both so I could not only can some salsa and tomato sauce, but have muchers all summer (hopefully!):fl

This is very helpful- I am going to print it up and put it in my garden diary, as I'm sure I'll need to refer to it in a day or two...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!:D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alot of it depends on if you are staking or caging your tomatoes. If you are caging them you can prune if you want but not necessary. If you stake them you will probably have to prune or you will go crazy with all the tying up branches. I cage and don't prune.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Alot of it depends on if you are staking or caging your tomatoes. If you are caging them you can prune if you want but not necessary. If you stake them you will probably have to prune or you will go crazy with all the tying up branches. I cage and don't prune.
Be sure to cage your tiger tomatos. You don't want those running loose. :D

Latest posts