Another use for herbs:)

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I brought some of my overflowing herbs inside to enjoy in a vase:)
I wanted to use more lavender, but the bumble bees were enjoying it so much that I felt bad cutting it. But the basil, sage and rosemary were getting way over grown and I can only use so much in cooking.

6630_plants_011.jpg

A picture of one of my container gardens filled with herbs.

6630_plants_010.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very, very pretty, Northernrose!

And, I bet the fragrance is wonderful :).

Steve

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've always loved the smell of plants even the "stinky" ones. The herbs smell as wonderful to me as roses :) Even when I was little I liked to touch, rub or even crush plants to experience the aromas of the oils. One of the most "stinky" plants I ever grew was a perennial marigold (Tagetes lemmonii). Gosh my husband hated that plant....he thought it smelled like cat pee. :lol: But, the funny thing is that I liked it!

Now another really stinky plant I had was Teucrium marum or Cat thyme and boy was that a stinky plant. My cat thought that it was "kitty crack" and ended up killing it by rolling on it for days on end. If you grow it....you better like cats! Every cat in the area will be in your yard. Cat nip is nothing when compared to cat thyme. :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
I've always loved the smell of plants even the "stinky" ones. The herbs smell as wonderful to me as roses :) Even when I was little I liked to touch, rub or even crush plants to experience the aromas of the oils. One of the most "stinky" plants I ever grew was a perennial marigold (Tagetes lemmonii). Gosh my husband hated that plant....he thought it smelled like cat pee. :lol: But, the funny thing is that I liked it!

Now another really stinky plant I had was Teucrium marum or Cat thyme and boy was that a stinky plant. My cat thought that it was "kitty crack" and ended up killing it by rolling on it for days on end. If you grow it....you better like cats! Every cat in the area will be in your yard. Cat nip is nothing when compared to cat thyme. :lol:
You should get a Copper Canyon daisy if you like the marigold smell. It is actually a perennial marigold and it has a really great odor. It's sort of a musky odor with overtones of mint and citrus. Really delightful and all you have to do is touch it to have it release the odor. Even a brisk breeze will do it. It also acts as an insect repellant around your other plants. It seems to repel bad insects like aphid and white fly but attracts the small stingless predator wasps that feed on them.
The flowers are a bright golden orange. The books say it blooms Spring and Fall but here in San Diego it blooms almost year round. Even when not in bloom the lacy bronze colored foliage is very attractive. It's difficult to start from seed but cuttings root very easily.
6858_005.jpg

6858_003.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OOPS. I'm showing my ignorance. I just checked the botanical name of Copper Canyon daisy and it's tagetes lemonii so I guess you are a fellow enthusiast. I wouldn't be without mine. I have it where I brush past it when I go on the path so it releases the odor.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful boquet Northernrose. I wish I had a surplus of herbs to use as cut flowers. But I just planted mine and they are still babies. :)

Mary

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You should get a Copper Canyon daisy if you like the marigold smell. It is actually a perennial marigold and it has a really great odor. It's sort of a musky odor with overtones of mint and citrus. Really delightful and all you have to do is touch it to have it release the odor. Even a brisk breeze will do it. It also acts as an insect repellant around your other plants. It seems to repel bad insects like aphid and white fly but attracts the small stingless predator wasps that feed on them.
The flowers are a bright golden orange. The books say it blooms Spring and Fall but here in San Diego it blooms almost year round. Even when not in bloom the lacy bronze colored foliage is very attractive. It's difficult to start from seed but cuttings root very easily.
I got mine when I was working at a nursery and part of my job was ordering plants. I loved to order new varieties of plants and not the run of the mill annuals and shrubs. I ordered 20 1gallon of the Copper canyon daisy plants and my boss ended up asking me to put them on clearance because he also thought they smelled to strong.

Sadly many of my favorite plants I collected over the years didn't survive me being pregnant, I just couldn't get out to water them.I really have to get a perennial garden going so I can start collecting my favorites again:)

Trish

here's a picture of mine from several years ago
6630_mygarden_027.jpg

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your beautiful vase of herbs, specially the basil, got me motivated.

I picked a bunch of Thai basil, toasted some pinenuts, and ground them up with 4 cloves of garlic. I didn't have any italian cheeses, but did have a big bag of blue cheese in the freezer.

Oh My Goodness - I've died and gone to heaven. Blue Cheese thai basil with pine nuts, garlic and some olive oil.

Garlic breath anyone? hee hee!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Northernrose, those are so beautiful! You really have quite a talent there! :happy_flower

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Your beautiful vase of herbs, specially the basil, got me motivated.

I picked a bunch of Thai basil, toasted some pinenuts, and ground them up with 4 cloves of garlic. I didn't have any italian cheeses, but did have a big bag of blue cheese in the freezer.

Oh My Goodness - I've died and gone to heaven. Blue Cheese thai basil with pine nuts, garlic and some olive oil.

Garlic breath anyone? hee hee!
I agree with you on the Thai basil. There is no other herb that comes close to that cinnamon/clove flavor.