Ant identification!?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... I found this rather large red ant. Its SMOOTH not fluffy looking and I did a huge search only coming back with these 'cow ants' or velvet ants. Both of which are actually wasps.

This may or may not be a wasp as well... however is looks like a large smooth red ant... with a black and white bullseye target on its back end. That is another main difference....

I'm doing a LOT of searching and coming back with nothing.

I am yet to be stung by it while trying to get a good look at it, so I can't say for sure its a wasp and not an ant. I keep finding it on my eggplant. I actually think it's moved it!

No other bugs are visible... its a loner if that helps.

Wish I got a picture but it moved too fast and likes to hide in my red mulch which almost matches it. (So its an orangey red and not a blood red!!!!)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok as I've continued to search I found 'one' type of velvet ant only common to southern florida of all places that doesn't quite look like any of the other photos of velvet ants or cow killer ants I could find. It was strange because it really was very 'smooth' looking and the only one I could find reasonably close is the south florida version.

I hope they aren't invading here!!!

I guess I should just squish it and move on.... I read it will probably scream or squeal when I do!!!???

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I read it will probably scream or squeal when I do!!!???
Are you sure its an ant?, i doubt an ant would scream........ :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
vfem said:
I read it will probably scream or squeal when I do!!!???
Are you sure its an ant?, i doubt an ant would scream........ :lol:
No really! It says it will make a squealing or screaming type sounds if I squish it, and to watch out for its HUGE stinger. Its actually a type of flightless wasp and not an Ant. Though it REALLY looks like an ant!!!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Velvet ants will make a squealing noise. It's quite surprising the first time you hear it. Maybe you just got a bald velvet ant vfem. :lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it's a cow killer (velvet ant) you do NOT want to get stung by it, I can tell you.

Could you post a pic of one? Or was there only the one now-departed individual?

Pat

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Could you post a pic of one? Or was there only the one now-departed individual?

Pat
I'm interested in seeing a picture of it too, if you have any.

Latest posts