ANTS!! help?

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ok,we live in hot and humid central Ga and we have tons of ants.we live on high ground so if the dam were to ever break we would not flood but now i am convinced it is just a giant ant hill.
seriously tho,all of our neighbors also have ant problems.they are everywhere.they get in the house,inside the parked vehicles,thick ant lines are climbing up all the trees.if you open up a farm gate your hand will be covered in them.if i pick up anything in the yard,it is covered in ants.we have to keep all pet/livestock food in freezers.
gardening is a disaster.don't even think about mulch.nice looking garden for the kids to pick veggies and their feet will be covered if they stand on the mulch.our figs are ripening and are getting eaten by the ants.

the ants are not fire ants or sugar ants.they are small black ants.they will bite but they don't seem to attack.
does anyone have an idea of what kind they are?

how do i control millions and millions of ants?there is no way i can afford to buy enough bug killer to do any good.

is it legal to buy an ant eater?i will try anything at this point.

thanks for any help.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am in the same boat here in Orangeburg SC so I will be waiting for a solution as well

I am beginning to think the hill i live on is an ant hill also. I have .70 acres and I also have .70 acres worth of ants. You can barely see the ant hills as they seem to live in the ground. They are everywhere. If you go outside you absolutely cannot stand in one spot for more than 3 seconds. When you look at the ground all you see is ants running everywhere but nowhere at the same time.

I have found a way to avoid the bites but you will look really really odd

my solution is leather boots

this past weekend i had to plant 3 peach trees, 1 lemon tree, and a plum tree and I started with one peach tree with friggin flip flops on and got bit up. So got to thinking maybe if i change my shoes that will work. The best option that came to mind was my leather high heel knee high winter nine west boots. mind you it was nearing 100 degrees so i had a bathing suit top on and daisy dukes.

Thank goodness i live aways away from the highway. Out there planting trees in a blue and tan bathing suit top pair of daisy dukes and my expensive knee high leather winter boots but guess what I DIDNT GET BIT with the boots on. my mom was SO ASHAMED...but that made it even more fun.

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yep,sounds like our ants.they don't have "hills" that they are going to and they are going in every direction on the ground.when i find a line,i follow it ,usually, under a building or in the woods.

we always wear our mud boots.we can't where flip flops anymore.
they are making me crazy.when ever i come inside,i want to take a shower because i am always feeling things crawl on me.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Geez, that sounds terrible!! I have to tell you, I used to complain about snow- but now that I hear what you folks in the south have to put up with, I don't hate winter so much! I can't imagine a solution for that amount of any bug. Do chickens eat ants?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I see an ant hill I pore a pot of boiling water on it. I use ant cups for the big carpenter ants which work very well. I have read that they are the most deadly poison which I do not take lightly as I am organic in every other way. I ordered 2 organic products from Gardens Alive. I use a lot of their products.
Liquid Bait Ant Killer
House Guardian Insect Spray.
They seem to have worked. I just had the little sugar ants so I do not know if it will work for you. I feel as if these are my safest option.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was just out dealing with the fire ants that had moved into my raised beds. Well, actually I was being stung, repeatedly, by fire ants while trying to get some of the beds ready to replant. If I have the hose handy I will drown them out when I find their hills, I just shoot a jet of water into the hill until there's a crater. They will move to a new spot, but if you do it enough times they tend to move to the neighbors. :lol:
I've heard that you can put corn meal on and around the hills to kill them, but I've never tried it. My chickens will sometimes eat them, but the ants bite back, so they tend to only take a few bites before backing off.

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
Geez, that sounds terrible!! I have to tell you, I used to complain about snow- but now that I hear what you folks in the south have to put up with, I don't hate winter so much! I can't imagine a solution for that amount of any bug. Do chickens eat ants?
my chickens don't eat them .
yeah,the good old south.i hate bugs and hot weather so right now Ga stinks for me.lol

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
When I see an ant hill I pore a pot of boiling water on it. I use ant cups for the big carpenter ants which work very well. I have read that they are the most deadly poison which I do not take lightly as I am organic in every other way. I ordered 2 organic products from Gardens Alive. I use a lot of their products.
Liquid Bait Ant Killer
House Guardian Insect Spray.
They seem to have worked. I just had the little sugar ants so I do not know if it will work for you. I feel as if these are my safest option.
thanks ,will look it to them

dinahmoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I was just out dealing with the fire ants that had moved into my raised beds. Well, actually I was being stung, repeatedly, by fire ants while trying to get some of the beds ready to replant. If I have the hose handy I will drown them out when I find their hills, I just shoot a jet of water into the hill until there's a crater. They will move to a new spot, but if you do it enough times they tend to move to the neighbors. :lol:
I've heard that you can put corn meal on and around the hills to kill them, but I've never tried it. My chickens will sometimes eat them, but the ants bite back, so they tend to only take a few bites before backing off.
when ever i find a fire ant hill,i use gasoline,doesn't take much and it works.wouldn't work in your flower beds tho.we have use grits and after a couple of days they are gone.we buy the big boxes of grits.
these are not fire ants.
i just picked up a piece of weed guard off the ground in the garden and there were hundreds of ants and eggs.at this point organic or not,i just want these guys gone.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
TempoSC. Follow directions. Death to ants. Can b used in restaurants

Latest posts