ants in pumpkin patch

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
1 are they a danger to the plants or fruit
2 if so how do I kill them ive been using the ortho ant powder on there holes and they just pop up some were else PLEAS HELP!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are the plants already a fairly mature size? If so, I don't think the ants will do any damage- if they are small seedlings, they might. It has been a bad year for ants....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

It depends on the type of ants you have. Most normal ants don't do any damage. The one thing I'd look out for from them is aphids. The eat the secretions of aphids and will even protect aphids from some predators, sort of making a living being aphid cowboys. If you have these ants look for those sucking aphids and treat for aphids.

If you have a bad infestation and dig around in a nest, they can be a real aggrevation and certain ones can bite. If you have a lot in your garden and they bother you when you are working there, you can get rid of them, but I don't worry about these. I just don't have a lot of them. I'm not allergic to them either.

If you have carpenter ants, they can do damage to wooden structures, such as fence posts, gates, and trellises. They need to go.

If you live in certain parts of the country, fire ants may be present. They won't hurt your garden, but they will hurt you. If you have ever gotten into a fire ant nest, you will know exactly what I an talking about. Those absolutely have to go.

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
well I live in southern California so we don't have fire ants like in the other states, the one's I have are very small and they are red and black my grandpa used to call them PI** ants cuz they can just PI** you off lol and they are fairly large and have been budding for the last week most are vineing.
so they wont hurt the vines or the pumpkins rite?
and thanks so much for the warm welcome's everyone

Latest posts