Any Houseplant experts?

Mnnikki

Sprout
Reaction score
I have a Hoya Carnosa that is at least 50+ years old. I inherited my husbands GREAT grandmothers plant, after his Garndmother passed away a couple months ago. The vines at at least 10 Ft long, and they are beautiful! My question is this: Can I repot this beautiful plant in a hanging pot? I’d like to be able to see all of its vining glory, but I’m also worried that my wild kids will knock it over one of these days while they are running around. And the set up that we have not is just too large, I don’t have a good spot for it. I’ve attached a picture of it. It truly is a beautiful plant. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 53A94AF4-0F23-41C7-8E73-6EAC859556DF.jpeg
    53A94AF4-0F23-41C7-8E73-6EAC859556DF.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 673EB649-D702-4278-8011-1938C46EEE10.jpeg
    673EB649-D702-4278-8011-1938C46EEE10.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 171

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Hoya Carnosa that is at least 50+ years old. I inherited my husbands GREAT grandmothers plant, after his Garndmother passed away a couple months ago. The vines at at least 10 Ft long, and they are beautiful! My question is this: Can I repot this beautiful plant in a hanging pot? I’d like to be able to see all of its vining glory, but I’m also worried that my wild kids will knock it over one of these days while they are running around. And the set up that we have not is just too large, I don’t have a good spot for it. I’ve attached a picture of it. It truly is a beautiful plant. Any advice is appreciated!

sorry, i'm not familiar with that plant and how much light it might require. in general the tropical vining plants are somewhat tolerant of lower light levels, but i can't say that specifically. in reading up a bit (i did look it up) the care guides say indirect but fairly bright light so you'll have to make sure it gets enough light.

potting soil is suggested to be light and well draining. let dry somewhat between waterings. use room temperature water.

my own problem with hanging plants is pretty much forgetting about them too often as my mind is more out-of-sight-out-of-mind. oops... :)

i don't think transplanting is the issue for me nearly as much as the light and care (or lacks thereof) concerns.

as for rambunctious children. having it up high wouldn't have kept us from once in a while mayhem. we had this period of time where we were doing balloon volleyball tournaments. :)

here seems to be a useful link in how to care for this plant:

Last edited: