Daidohead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
6592_fungus_002.jpg

6592_fungus_001.jpg

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Shrooms... fungi, are such a fascinating piece of nature to me!
My greatest find last year... Sheepshead ... over 12" across, at the base of a tree in my woods ...
Common around here, but it was the first time I ever found one! :cool:

6517_picture_2383.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They're "ear fungi", something along the lines of Auricularia http://mycology.suite101.com/article.cfm/auricularia_auricula_the_wood_ear_mushroom (I am not swearing to this particular genus and species, but, if not, then it's something similar)

They are theoretically edible -- closely related to some of the fungi that show up in dried form in oriental groceries and your bowl o' hot-and-sour soup -- but I have never tried eating any of the wild ones myself.

IME they crop up quite commonly when you have mulched with newspaper, cardboard, shavings or wood chips. They seem totally harmless to plants.

(e.t.a - birds nest fungi are different, very small [like the tip of your pinkie finger at largest] and sort of cardboardy not jelly-y, with a few egglike spore packets in the middle when fresh. )

Pat

Daidohead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

I spent 20 years in the mountains above the Napa Valley before moving here to the North end of the Sacramento Valley 9 months ago. It's a whole different world here, different soil, weather, lots of new plants and animals.

Thanks again for the help, Mark

Latest posts