Any Master Gardeners out there?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
After taking a preserving class and loving it...I am looking into becoming a Master Gardener. I am loving learning about gardening, preserving and would like to "expand my horizons." It is a commitment to sign-up for; a total of 18 classes, volunteer work, $95 and (cue scary music) a test! :barnie

Anywho...any Master Gardeners out there? Was it worth it, did you learn a lot? Thanks! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the same thing- would love to hear others experiences...

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am the master of my garden. :D

I would love to do it when the kids are bit older. Right now they are 2 and 4 and I just can't do anything.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well....I hesitated to post here. I've thought about going, but when I heard what they taught, I realized, and I'm not bragging, but I could teach the courses, so I've never bothered. It's a great program for those who want to learn more, and it's always good to be available to help others, which I do, without a 'degree' :)

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I am the master of my garden. :D

I would love to do it when the kids are bit older. Right now they are 2 and 4 and I just can't do anything.
:lol: I don't even feel like I'm the master of my own garden!

I know what you mean about the children thing. Mine are 6 (almost 7) and 2 (almost 3). I also work full-time, so it would be a bit of a sacrifice in regards to my evenings with my kids. Hmmmm....I still don't know :hu

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Well....I hesitated to post here. I've thought about going, but when I heard what they taught, I realized, and I'm not bragging, but I could teach the courses, so I've never bothered. It's a great program for those who want to learn more, and it's always good to be available to help others, which I do, without a 'degree' :)
See, I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time and money on something that will not be that beneficial. Decisions, Decisions...

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Interesting point. I am wondering who confers your status as master?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Around here it's the Master Gardeners at the Massachusetts Horticultural Society that run the program.

As for how I feel about the program, it doesn't mean I couldn't learn a thing or two from taking the course - but I can also learn the same things by reading, and by studying my own gardens and gardens of my clients, etc. I learn without oversight just fine, have done so my whole life. I've often thought about going to college and getting that official piece of paper that's so important to some - but I guess it just isn't that important to me.

Go and take the Master Gardener program if you have one available and have no other means of learning. It's not a bad thing, it's just not for me.