Any Master Gardeners out there?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a friend here who is in a Master Gardener's program. She is the type of person who is always learning for the sake of learning and has enjoyed the program. It involves continuous leaning hours (she got some of her's in a beekeeping course) and service hours. She helps maintain a Civil War era garden at a local state park for her service hours. I don't know how the Master Gardener program is set up in your area, but one of her advantages from the program is that she now has a knowledgeable mentor who is very familiar with our local conditions.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I have a friend here who is in a Master Gardener's program. She is the type of person who is always learning for the sake of learning and has enjoyed the program. It involves continuous leaning hours (she got some of her's in a beekeeping course) and service hours. She helps maintain a Civil War era garden at a local state park for her service hours. I don't know how the Master Gardener program is set up in your area, but one of her advantages from the program is that she now has a knowledgeable mentor who is very familiar with our local conditions.
There's an interesting idea - the course can lead to other things.
Upkeep in the area gardens, municipal gardening, maybe even a job in the horticulture field.

Who normally sponsors/hosts such a program?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Ridgerunner said:
There's an interesting idea - the course can lead to other things.
Upkeep in the area gardens, municipal gardening, maybe even a job in the horticulture field.

Who normally sponsors/hosts such a program?
That is another reason I want to become more involved in the Master Gardener's program. I have a far-away dream of doing something I love for a job vs just doing my job. You never know who you may meet @ the class or doing volunteer work.

Purdue University sponsors the program in Indiana...here is the link

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/MG/index.html

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In our area, Penn State University runs the Master Gardner Program through the local extension offices in each county.

Master Gardener Program

Well not each county I guess, there is no program in the county where I live so I will have to go to a neighboring county to complete the program.

I certainly don't consider myself an expect in anything but I do think I'm pretty well versed in general gardening stuff. I'm anxious to see what I do/don't know! And I agree 100%, who knows what the training will lead to in the future?

And...ummm...yeah...I'll admit I want the "official" Master Gardener title. :tools

Regards,

Kathy

Latest posts