Any thoughts on what to do with dried peas?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sort of let the pea harvest get away from me and the peas passed their prime. I opted to let them dry on the vine and then use them for seed. (Notice how I made it sound like it was a conscious decision and not the result of simple neglect :p ). But I wondered if there was anyone who dries them and then cooks with them?
These are Super sugar Snaps, and an unnamed bush pea that was experimental (free! ) from Shumway.
I'm assuming the peas for split pea soup are a particular variety grown for that purpose.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did the same thing today, picked all the "forgotten" peas and pulled the vines, ended up with a lot on a paper plate drying, mine are sugar snap. I think with the amount i have, i'll be saving it all for seed. But i would definitely think you could make a pea soup with them, and add them to other veggie soups. I would even reconstitute in some hot water and add to baked mac and cheese, things like that. Spice up some ramen noodles even, with peas and an egg.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I like the mac and cheese idea! :) My husband loves m/c and would probably eat it every night if I was nice enough to make it that often. He even likes it when I add "surprises"... a minestrone addition, that would be good too... Thanks Heather!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had some of thoses. I figured I would plant a few and see if I get a late season crop!
I like NWMTGardener's ideas. Thanks.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may well really push it and plant my Peas real soon, maybe too soon this year. Want to have them done and out in time to plant something like quick ripening bush dry beans...hmmm

Latest posts