Any Tips for Bathing A Hen?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a hen with lots of dryed stool around her vent. I have never bathed a chicken before, any tips? If I want to remove some of the feathers around her vent can I cut them or should they be pulled out?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They should be cut -I think pulling could lead to infection if she'd so dirty. It's never a good sign when a hen gets dirty. Use gloves, warm water and dish soap. Does she have a place to roost? That usually keeps them clean.
Nyboy said:
I have a hen with lots of dryed stool around her vent. I have never bathed a chicken before, any tips? If I want to remove some of the feathers around her vent can I cut them or should they be pulled out?

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I used to show chickens, you will need a tub with warm water, you can use pet shampoo to wash her bottom. dont rub too hard , you may have to pull little pieces at a time until they all come off, hold her between her legs if she will let you or someone else to her her wings down! dry off as much you can. If the weather not too cool, let her air dry. then add a pretty bow !!:lol:

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Most chickens actually like a bath. Some breeds that have a lot of downy feathers around their vent will tend to acummulate soil. I had an old lady Silver Laced Wyandotte that had this problem off and on. Clipping the feathers was a big help! Just don't tell them what you are doing. They would be humiliated! :lol:

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My silkies love baths! I use Loreal kids shampoo on them. They fuss for the first few seconds, then they feel the warmth of the water and just sorta melt. Make sure you hold her head above water...I swear some of mine have actually fallen asleep! LOL

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My husband and I have had this problem with a few of our chicken. We also have had to bathe them when we had a mite invasion. We have used Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo when they have debris on their bottoms. A little goes a long ways! I bought a cheap dish drain mat with holes so the water could drain down the sink but they would be able to stand. When they had mites, we used Adam's Flea and Tick Shampoo and submersed them in water. I hold the chicken, talk to them, and my husband, well he gets to do the dirty work. Make sure you watch the water temperature. If it is too hot they pant and if it is too cold they shiver. We then use a bath towel to get off most of the water off and then blew dry them (again watching the heat). Many have fallen asleep during the blow drying. Another thing that we learned, try to bathe them after they have laid or on a day that they are not going to lay. Washing a chicken who needs to lay is not a fun experience for anyone. :lol: When they are done with their spa treatment they get treats.

Latest posts