1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Anybody cook outdoors in a dutch oven? UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by thistlebloom, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2011
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

That looks really interesting, and like a good method for outdoor cooking. Thanks Smiles ! :)

2. Jun 4, 2012
    thistlebloom

Well we have been using the dutch oven this year! We're trying a new recipe each week. It's a lot of fun and so far everything has turned out successful. Today we made peach cobbler. Next week it might be enchiladas, but I made the mistake of showing my husband the recipe book so he has about a dozen lined up. That's his short list. :)

This is a shot of our cowboy beans.

[​IMG]

3. Jun 4, 2012
    nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Deeply Rooted

So... my husband bought me a dutch oven last year for my birthday... I've used it a handful of times, but never outdoors. It has a dome top, so I'm not going to be able to use it outdoors, right?

4. Jun 4, 2012
    StupidBird

StupidBird Attractive To Bees

I have seen folks make up a raised rim for the lid with a few layers of heavy aluminum foil. The food was further protected by a sheet of foil over top of the food on which the lid assembly was set.

No feet to raise it above the coals? 3 brick chunks or well positioned rocks will do just fine. Or a couple-three pieces of rebar across split logs or bricks or something.

To further protect the bottom of biscuits from scorching, we'd put the biscuits in a pie pan that fit inside the oven.

My favorites?

taco pie! Taco seasoned hamburger with extra cans of beans cooked in the dutch oven, then pour on cornbread batter, put on the lid, and bake until the cornbread is done.

any stew with biscuit dumplings on top (drop soft dough by spoonfuls or use canned "whack" biscuits).

5. Jun 4, 2012
    thistlebloom

Is it cast iron Nacho? Or one of those nice enameled ones?