Anybody cook outdoors in a dutch oven? UPDATE!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well we have been using the dutch oven this year! We're trying a new recipe each week. It's a lot of fun and so far everything has turned out successful. Today we made peach cobbler. Next week it might be enchiladas, but I made the mistake of showing my husband the recipe book so he has about a dozen lined up. That's his short list. :)

This is a shot of our cowboy beans.

7504_048.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... my husband bought me a dutch oven last year for my birthday... I've used it a handful of times, but never outdoors. It has a dome top, so I'm not going to be able to use it outdoors, right?

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have seen folks make up a raised rim for the lid with a few layers of heavy aluminum foil. The food was further protected by a sheet of foil over top of the food on which the lid assembly was set.

No feet to raise it above the coals? 3 brick chunks or well positioned rocks will do just fine. Or a couple-three pieces of rebar across split logs or bricks or something.

To further protect the bottom of biscuits from scorching, we'd put the biscuits in a pie pan that fit inside the oven.

My favorites?

taco pie! Taco seasoned hamburger with extra cans of beans cooked in the dutch oven, then pour on cornbread batter, put on the lid, and bake until the cornbread is done.

any stew with biscuit dumplings on top (drop soft dough by spoonfuls or use canned "whack" biscuits).

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
So... my husband bought me a dutch oven last year for my birthday... I've used it a handful of times, but never outdoors. It has a dome top, so I'm not going to be able to use it outdoors, right?
Is it cast iron Nacho? Or one of those nice enameled ones?

Latest posts