Anybody dry and use their mint?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Speaking of mint..... I heard that certain mints it deters rodents such as mice. This was supposed to be used in ancient times. Does anyone have any expericence with this? :rolleyes:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got a lot of mice in and around my mint patches, so I will say "not so much" ;)

If you have fresh mint, just mince or sliver it up with a knife to add to brownie batter etc. Or mash into vodka for extract, as described above.

The times I've tried drying mint it has not come out quite right. Especially the chocolate mint wasn't so good. Maybe that's just me though.

You can pot some up for a sunny cool windowsill indoors you know. In fact if you pot several pots up, but leave all but one outdoors, when the first one starts to kind of languish and poop out, you can bring another one indoors, start it back into growth, and have more fresh mint.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Mint must love my soil, because I started with a store-bought pot two years ago, and the chocolate mint has spread 10 foot long and 2 1/2 foot wide since then. I think I will pull up a few plants and bring them in for the winter, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
I think I'm gonna try that thing where you tie the plant up upsidedown in a paper sack. I know that's for seed collection, but it would probably keep the dust away. That'll make my basement interesting, what with sacks hanging, and grow lights growing, and plants in every window! :gig

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I agree with Pat about drying it. With the exception of Corsican Mint -- now that keeps a good flavour for a very long time --Once it is dry keep it in a dark glass jar.

By the way just take a look at this site for a really cute idea for growing it as a topping for a table -- I love it ! :celebrate

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1178320329043604021rAifcR

ducks4you, I hope this isn't considered a 'hijack' -- just an addition ...! :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have Spearmint and Applemint, but I don't use them for anything. They just grow every season.

The Applemint is pretty cool because it is big and fat and hairy! LOL, it is the biker-dude of the mint world.

applemint.jpg

such a fat mint!
applemint.jpg

My Chocolate mint was too delicate for my garden and only lasted a season. My Lemon balm too had difficulty. I may try them again to act as fillers between my hardy perennials.

I am not a tea drinker, but I did do a Brine Concoction on my Thanksgiving Day Turkey last year. It was a combination of Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice and various mints and herbs from the garden. I loved ever bite of the meat, but I hated it because I lost my precious gravy! This year it is basic herbs and none of this 'sweetness' or brining. Just give me good old dry meat with Gravy!!!! :plbb

I want a bowlful of Gravy with Giblets... LOL, am I drooling? Oh yeah, mint...sorry! LOL :lol:

Ron

Latest posts