Anybody ever order flowers from Burgess?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my first order from them and I ordered some Black-eyed Susans. What arrived was some brown roots in a baggy, no stems, leaves, etc. My mother ordered lavender from them this year and received 12....only 2 survived. They all arrived looking like something dead also.

Is this common? I've never ordered plants from a catalog before, only seeds. Will these even grow? I'm not pleased and will probably not order from a catalog again if this is typical of what you receive. :(

yotetrapper

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was disapointed in that too when I ordered, but yes, they should grow. They're "bareroot" perenials. Plant them with the part that looks like where the stem should be up, and be patient. Bareroots can take over a month to sprout.

Word of advice on catalogs. If a plant doesn't say "potted" or is a bulb, you can bet that they will be bare roots, like you recieved. If in doubt of whether they're potted or bareroot, call and ask before ordering.

hdchic

Sprout
Reaction score
I was in the same situation earlier in the year. Ordered from Burgess some Wysteria, some moss, and Ferns. All came bare root, which I thought was fine, but none of it lived. First, it was sent waaaay too early for my zone, and when I did plant it, it all was dead. I think from now on I will go to my local greenhouse.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've gotten bare root before, but these things look dead! Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll try to be patient and hope they live. Unfortunately, the local nurseries don't do many perennials and that is all I want to plant. They barely do herbs! I was lucky to get the few herbs that they did have but they didn't have the majority of what I wanted. Thanks for your help! :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmmm, Beekissed, maybe you're looking at this money-making-from-plants thing all wrong.

What if *you* got 2" starter pots and began herbs, from packs of seeds, and then sold them? How about vegetable starts? Someone's got to do it.

You could try direct, but I'd also try the nurseries and such, and see if they'd carry them. I'd rather see them bought outright, but maybe consignment if they are really nervous types.

I imagine that, with your talent for finding good deals, you could scare up some greenhouse, or coldframe materials (PVC frames?) to get them ready for spring rush.

If it goes well you can then....branch out. :D

Just a thought.... :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the same thought!! Great minds think alike! :cool: You're right....I'm scrounging materials to build a small greenhouse right now and found a large window to form one whole wall! It probably measures 8 ft. x 8ft, is a wooden frame with small panes. I am also getting some rough cut 4 x4s, 2 x 10s and 2 x 4s from the same source....for free!
Already chose the spot! Also have constructed 3 cold frames out of the shower doors and screen door I took off the house. AND got a free book on constructing greenhouses! How's that for thinking ahead? Have saved and disinfected all the six packs and trays from my exorbitant greenhouse runs this year, for reuse next year.

Next year, Apple Blossom Farm will be the place to get perennials and herbs. In the fall we will have a perennial swap and trade seeds, plants and bulbs. I have already priced the additional tent/awning for extending my display space! :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's great! :)

I'm glad that you're grabbing the opportunity, both for you, and your area! (I should have known you'd already be on it!) :coolsun

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Always looking for a way to make something out of nothing.....come to think of it, that's how I got married! :lol: :lol:

Stephie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have never tried Burgess because I either send my own flowers or make this kind of flower delivery if necessary. The prices are pretty normal at least from my point of view. I did it maybe once or twice.