Anybody heard of this -- use of cinnamon against "damping-off" disease

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have never heard of it but it can't hurt to try. Cinnamon is used to help diabetics control blood sugar. It seems that it can do anything, and yet we continue to destroy the tropical rain forest.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, and get rid of the fungus gnats, too?! Sounds like a cure-all.

Chamomile tea controls damping-off of seedlings, supposedly. I like chamomile so much as a tea that I would kind of hate to dump it on soil. Besides, damping-off shows up and does its dastardly deed so quickly, usually the tiny seedling is gone before any remedial action can be taken.

It may make sense to take preventative measures for damping-off if it is much of a problem in your growing environment. Fresh air and sunshine are good remedies but if you are going into a long stretch of cloudy spring weather while the plant starts are indoors a dose of something for what might ail them could be a good idea.

Now, fungus gnats - the darn things - I had them in the plant starts this year. Usually, they are in over-wintered potted plants brought in from outdoors. I was surprised that they moved right into the flats of seedlings.

Steve