Anybody here grow blueberries?

Grampa Greenjeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Blueberries are super easy to grow. Way back when I worked for my Grandfather's orchard he had an acre of blueberries. He swapped the planting areas with raspberries as the soil test came back low ph for one of the areas. They did very well. I would heavily mulch them with sawdust from a sawmill. Ran trickle irrigation thru it. Sprayed with a soluble fertilizer as the mulch robbed the nitrogen.

I have 10 plants at home here in Georgia. I get sawdust from a local sawmill. I fertilized them with triple 12 before adding more sawdust. Have about 5 or 6 varieties. I have forgot which ones are which, but I just planted 2 Premier which I think I already have a couple more. I also add Epsom Salts to add flavor and make nutrients available. Last year I picked 8 gallons of them.

I dig a $20 hole, more like a wide v shaped hole which I incorporate some compost into the heavy clay soil. Then mulch to hold in moisture and keep weeds away. Also so I see it when mowing.

I figure the top ones are for the birds, the bottom for my chickens, and the ones in the middle are for me.

Latest posts