Anybody recognize this ?

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I’ve got a new type of watermelon called jubilee and several of my seedlings have this on the leaves anybody know what it is ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 220

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is downy mildew.

That is seldom a problem here so I'm not really familiar with it.

Are those really young plants?

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Looks to me like it may be a bit damp where the Melons are growing a mound is generally built ~ well a mound of soil so the main body of the melon is a bit drier ```

Seems too damp even wet to me ~ hope you solve the problem ~ if it's a low lying area there isn't much you can do, does it rain a lot there or is the water coming from a sprinkler ~ am I seeing wrong, Or ```

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They are very young only 3 true leaves . We just watered so the soil is damp but dries well during he day . There’s been really high humidity I guess that could be causing it but it’s not something on the leaves the brown spots are almost see trough they are so thin .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The horticulturalists call spots on leaves, necrotic tissue. It just means that the spots died.

Cornell Figures 8 & 9: I find Cornell, on the other side of the country, to be quite a lot help. Link

Texas A&M has a good website.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Folks at Cornell are very smart! With my ole 1 and a quarter eyes, it does look like downy mildew, which indeed does happen most when the air is warm n humid. It could also pass as where a snail went by. those buggers are good at somehow getting only the top layers of cells.

Jubilee is some decades old a variety. Isn't it an all america selection winner from around 1960?

I plan on doing watermelon next year. They like their roots very warm, loose, undisturbed. Melon growers: have an advantage if economy goes south. it's something not simple. get determined. Here in hotville valley, er I mean santa rosa jest north of san francisco, I planted store bought cantaloupe seedlings between 11 april and 5 may. they got primo soil with probiotic fertilizer mixed in. late may through june, they received a liquid "bloom" type fertilizer directly on the leaves as per instructions about once a week. little bottle, one small glug per quart. cost 10 clams. plants seemed to love it and made lots of pretty flowers. Watered them regularly until mid hot july, then tapered off. I'm starting to watch for signs of "slip" on the ambrosias now, but i think it'll be a couple weeks. oh. downy mildew also happens when it is cool and humid. i had cucumber seedlings get it when i lived in montana in (head scratches) 2006

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
get them planted and hope for the best IMO. :)

the only obvious problem i see are some leaf miner type tracks. nothing to worry about too much. if they die then they weren't meant to be.

Latest posts