Anybody tried these?

Purple Iris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
and do they work? I know the silver mulch doesn’t mention vine borers or squash bugs (pests I have the biggest problems with), but I wonder if it might help at least a little. I’m also intrigued by the fact that it keeps the soil cooler. A plus down here I would think

I’ve read these only catch the males, but when males are caught, that alerts you to the presence of the borers. Not sure if that would help me much since I know they’re pretty much always around...

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
and do they work? I know the silver mulch doesn’t mention vine borers or squash bugs (pests I have the biggest problems with), but I wonder if it might help at least a little. I’m also intrigued by the fact that it keeps the soil cooler. A plus down here I would think

I’ve read these only catch the males, but when males are caught, that alerts you to the presence of the borers. Not sure if that would help me much since I know they’re pretty much always around...

You can also help control squash bugs by planting repellent plants with your squashes. Two of the most common plants that repel squash bugs are nasturtiums and white icicle radishes. ... Other plants such as oregano, marigold, calendula and dill can also provide some protection and deter squash bugs in your garden. - but if you feel like making them stay? your choice.. :D:D:D

Purple Iris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I’ve tried the nasturtiums, but the problem is they don’t grow well here in the summer, neither do radishes. Last year I planted the nasturtium in a pot and when summer heat hit, I moved the pot to an area with afternoon shade. The plants lasted longer, but were not anywhere near the squash plants. Are there different varieties? Maybe one that does better in the hot, humid south?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can also help control squash bugs by planting repellent plants with your squashes. Two of the most common plants that repel squash bugs are nasturtiums and white icicle radishes. ... Other plants such as oregano, marigold, calendula and dill can also provide some protection and deter squash bugs in your garden. - but if you feel like making them stay? your choice.. :D:D:D
Growing nasturtiums and white icicle radishes is worth a try, since I have grown them before.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Purple Iris, it doesn't sound too pricey. I think you should try it and report back. Try to be careful bc all plastic will try to tear on you while handling, at least it does for me! If it works, you could let it dry out end of season and fold/roll it up to use again.
I live in the country and I see farming done more and more with the vegetables growing through holes in plastic and the amended soil is encase in the plastic. It all looks like a gigantic caterpillar!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Growing nasturtiums and white icicle radishes is worth a try, since I have grown them before.
They can grow in partial shade, but they will not bloom as well. Nasturtiums prefer poorer soils and they do not need fertilizers (unless your soil is extremely poor). Fertile soil will produce fewer blooms and more foliage.

Latest posts