Anyone can raise chickens...a beginner's tutorial

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Just got this in email....thought it might be of interest to those thinking about raising chickens.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Mode...mpaign=SLCS&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email
Thanks for posting this boggybranch !!

I love to read anything from mother earth news. I myself have always wanted to get chickens but i'm not sure if that would be possible with neighbors, i do however i have a few pheasants, quail, and doves but they all seem fairly quiet compared to a chicken.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mother Earth rules!! Always great info. The thing I really appreciated when I got into chickens- was that they were very forgiving. If you do something "wrong" it's not usually a big deal. I spent the winter reading BYC and was really ready in the spring, when my chicks arrived. Greenthumb- chickens aren't really very noisy. If you avoid roosters and just have a few hens, it is unlikely your neighbors would hear them...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just gonna put in a plug for BackYardChickens.com ...
Before I found these 4 forums, I was online trying to plan how I'd keep the chickens I was ready to order. (I had, in the past, only owned one hen at a time, which fit conveniently into an old rabbit hutch, which ALSO fit conveniently in the barn, where it was comfortably out of the weather.) I downloaded and studied the coop plans on motherearth. They were WAY more complicated than the plans that are posted at BYC. I cheated this winter because my coop wasn't started, and put my 10 birds inside a stall for the winter. (ALL my hens are saying, "WHAT snow?) There are so many creative ideas on the coop link that I will be encorporating into my 2010 coop, including PYC feeders that hold enough food for a week, pop-doors, nest doors (so you can retrieve eggs without going inside). I'm thinking about using solar with an electric backup for the wintertime, and there are several people doing THAT. I thoroughly understand ventilation vs. draft now. I'm not a great builder and many people there have good tips to help me with that, too. You'll love your birds, the meat (if you like), the eggs, AND, Greenthumb, there is ALWAYS somebody who will take your birds if you find you don't like it.
BTW, my birds are Rhode Island Reds, and they ARE noisy.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
boggybranch said:
Just got this in email....thought it might be of interest to those thinking about raising chickens.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Mode...mpaign=SLCS&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email
Thanks for posting this boggybranch !!

I love to read anything from mother earth news. I myself have always wanted to get chickens but i'm not sure if that would be possible with neighbors, i do however i have a few pheasants, quail, and doves but they all seem fairly quiet compared to a chicken.
Just don't get a rooster and you shouldn't have a noise problem that would be complained about....like lesa said.
Heck, betcha they got dogs that bark. LOL

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Just gonna put in a plug for BackYardChickens.com ...

BTW, my birds are Rhode Island Reds, and they ARE noisy.
Hahahahaha...yep, 24 hrs a day during the spring and summer. My Rhode Island Red rooster's clock was broke.
And, you forgot to mention.......very aggressive.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mother Earth News Rocks...

And from the article picture... I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my silkies.... they have stolen and pecked away my heart. :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I kept a few chickens awhile back ago, but the hens do make a call when their laying. I'll have to see about that.

Thanks everyone!! ;)

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Mother Earth News Rocks...

And from the article picture... I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my silkies.... they have stolen and pecked away my heart. :D
How do you get your silkies to stand still while you blow dry em? LOL

Sure nuff, purty chickens.