Anyone Doing Feast of 7 Fishes Tonight?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually now that I think of it we DID have seafood Thurs. night, at least I did (mom had made my sister a stuffed flank steak, which she knows I don't like, so I got grilled shrimp) And we ALL had fish the night before (sole, if I recall, in a lemon egg sauce)

That being said, the Feast did have an effect on us, in that the number of people BUYING fish for it caused both of us to have to spend an abnormal amount of time getting our respective marine purchases on Wed, and, in may case, meaning I will have to wait until next spring presumably to find out how my farmers market's fish stand is at smoked striped bass, as they had run out by the time I got to the front of the line, and it was the last time they were coming for the season (I did manage to get some smoked shark, but having had it, I'd say it's a little saltier than I care for. Come next spring, unless the have some other smoked fishes in season, I'm better off sticking with the tuna.)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sigh! A lover of fresh fish in a beer and breaded cod state. It is a rare day that I get good fish. Salmon and trout are exceptions. I had shrimp on Christmas Eve, too.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought your state was famous for it's golden perch frys (or is that Michigan)

I'm a little unclear if you mean beer accompanying breaded cod, or beer in the batter for breaded cod. Not that it'd make much difference to me (don't like cod)

For what it's worth after a lot of experiments, in my opinion the best beer for making fish batter is a Scottis one called Old Engine Oil (I won't bother with the brewery since it keeps getting sold from one to another. I was Harvestoun the last time I looked, but it was Alva before that, and God knows who has it now.) Gives the batter a deep malty taste.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought your state was famous for it's golden perch frys (or is that Michigan)
Must be Michigan. Fish fries here have always been cod, although, you can usually get perch and walleye if you don't want standard fare.

I'm a little unclear if you mean beer accompanying breaded cod, or beer in the batter for breaded cod. Not that it'd make much difference to me (don't like cod)

Either and both as long as it is beer. This is Wisconsin, the biggest number of beer drinkers per capita and the biggest party schools in college records. I actually believe the word "cod" is coming to mean just about any white fish since real Northern cod is becoming scarce.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Festa dei sette pesci~not many people know about that one. I miei gomba Idaliati. [ my Godfather Italian e, an more Italian American Festa, not popular in Italy.
That's a great one, All night vigil, some do. You should continue it in honora da La Mama.

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Perch is a big deal here in Michigan.

Hard to beat perch filets fried in a skillet over a wood fire. Unless it's walleye but now I'm just being greedy.

I'm headed to everybody else's homes to eat!!!! In-laws did spiral baked ham, cut for sandwiches, cheesy potatoes, meatballs, and an assortment of appetizers. It's good I like ham, but duck? Fish? Roast Beast? YES PLEASE!!!!! :drool